Thread: Region 2-19 Tips please!

Region 2-19 Tips please!

Hey guys,

Trying to find something close by anyone have any input on this area this time around?
    Here's a google link of a decent but steep valley we found. Any information about this zone and getting to it would be greatly appreciated

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/49%C2%B026'38.5%22N+122%C2%B006'58.1%22W/@49.3811765,-122.0890989,10.84z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d49.444037!4d-122.116134

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 2-19 Tips please!

Bears and deer live in there. Pretty Squatchy back there too. You can get in there off the Chehalis road, but I don't think it goes all the way. Probably need to do some leg work.

Bring a good map, chainsaw and plenty of fuel for the quad. I live in Deroche and spend a lot of time in the hills between Stave and Chehalis. I would think that the last few km’s to Olive lake will he impassible by vehicle. Looks like a real good hike, this trip is totally doable.
    Last edited by plumberjustin; 11-14-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

That's too funny, I was going to head to that exact spot this season with my son but we decided not to. Might still if we get a chance for another hunt. PM some pics if you go, it looks awesome on Google maps.

That said I don't know how to get in, I remember looking at Google maps and figuring out what seemed to be the best route when considering that location. If I saved my notes on this I'll PM them to you, but don't count on it. I'm sloppy with such things.

Harrison / Chehalis (2-19) is my stomping ground so to speak. We go there on weekends as it's the closest place for us other than Stave. We tend to explore and camp often in 2-19. We've seen lots of deer, pretty sure we saw the rear end of some elk run off too, that was cool. Checked the droppings and they were much bigger than deer.

There will be deer in there for sure, if you see them is another question entirely though. I've had terrible luck hunting region 2-19 but if you can find an out of the way spot away from the 4 wheel crowd and logging work you'll likely see them. If you forget your rifle or it's not hunting season you'll see many! I've literally had at least three groups of deer walk in front of my Jeep while driving some of the lightly used trails. We tracked some right to their bedding area a few years ago (before we started hunting). This year that bedding area does not look to be used. No fresh sign.

We've only seen 2 grouse in all of our time in 2-19, I took my first ever shot at a grouse in 2-19 and missed. My sons little badger has a hair trigger and I was not expecting it to fire when it did... lesson learned. Bet my son would have nailed it.

Also, what plumberjustin said is true, take a good map, chainsaw (or some kind of saw / axe), and fuel. If you take a chainsaw please take safety chaps, helmet, etc. Chainsaws are deadly.

If you have a GPS and you don't know the area let it keep a track if where you're going so you can follow it back out and mark places of interest. Then you can upload them to Google maps, earth, etc. Make routes to get back another time.
    Last edited by Lugg; 11-15-2017 at 07:38 AM.

I use to hunt up there lots before I moved out of LML.
    get up into the old growth and still hunt.

Imo some of the best reg 2 spots are over looked!

I found a amazing spot at the end of last season.

If you can get into that old growth timber above the Sylvester road valley above the farms that would be my all time #1 choice for blacktail hunting in mission

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    If you can get into that old growth timber above the Sylvester road valley above the farms that would be my all time #1 choice for blacktail hunting in mission
    This is some great advice. I hunt Dewdney, Nicomen and Deroche mountains quite a bit. There’s some killer spots if you’re willing to work for it. Lots of hiking, get out of the truck and you could be very surprised what you’ll find.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Scout and hide from human traffic

How are you guys getting around the Gate at Statlu are you coming in from Deroche?
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess