Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting mule deer in heavy brush

Question Hunting mule deer in heavy brush

Hello all,

I was out in 3-28 today looking for mule deer. I am still a fairly new hunter and teaching myself, so I am hoping I can get some pointers for the community. Last year I was out a lot in 3-28 and regularly saw does, with the rare buck. I was truck hunting about 80% of the time, and managed to get a deer.

This year though, the animals seem to have changed their behaviour. I have been trying to hunt only on foot and spend Friday and today in 18 inches of snow stalking along for 10 hours, giving the occasional grunt call. I saw a lot of fresh tracks, but not a single deer. I covered more than 13 km on foot today, and I am trying to follow the advice I have read online or heard in this forum. I tried to step very quietly, but it was hard in the snow, I blew the call only occasionally and only in cover, and I took regular breaks to just sit and look and listen.

I was not able to do much glassing because the brush in 3-28 is so darn thick you can't see more than 10 feet in most places. I know that the way to hunt mulies with best success is glassing open areas, but there are very few, even the "Christmas Tree" replanted cutblocks are impossible to see through. I was out at 630, and as I first started down a trail I noticed large deer tracks leading to a thin stand of timber than ran parallel to the trail. I tried my best to scan it, but it was very thick. 10 minutes later I realized I had forgotten something from the truck so I went back and was very frustrated to see that after I went by the tracks had emerged about 20 meters down from where they went in and the ******* had placed a perfect deef print in the sole of each of my boot prints for more than 100 meters before he climbed a steep hill into heavy timber. What a *******.

If anyone can lend any wisdom I would appreciate it, I have had success in Region 8, and I am trying to incorporate all the tips I have read, but I clearly screwed up today. I have been out 12 times this year, saw my first wolf! today, and am staying out late and working it hard, but clearly am making errors.

PS: I appreciate that some members enjoy posting "that's why the call it hunting not killing", but as I am attempting to increase my skill, these sorts of observations have no value.

Many thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting mule deer in heavy brush

Slow the fk down. 1.3 km in a day is better than 13km.

^^^^^this this this
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Slow the fk down. 1.3 km in a day is better than 13km.
    Newish hunter here. Why is going slower better? So not to spook them?

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    If he was going slower that deer may have stepped out right in front of him instead of behind him �� I'd have to go with the slow it down group too, 13 km is a lot of ground to cover in snow I know my legs wouldn't be happy haha

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    It's about paying attention to everything around you . Look for ears antler tips shapes that look out of place , listen to noises around you . Your trying to beat them at there own game and there game is survival . Tromping along you don't have a chance to do any of these things

Glassing covers a huge area, with little effort. Find vantage point, hike for a reason
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Going slow does you no good if you are not in deer...cover ground until in fresh sign then slow down.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Going slow does you no good if you are not in deer...cover ground until in fresh sign then slow down.
    This ^^

I also slow down or sit if the habitat looks right

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Op said he was seeing plenty of fresh sight in the snow