Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCWF- Changes at the BCWF

Re: BCWF- Changes at the BCWF

As opposed to the propaganda pushed by your friends right?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Give it time and he will...or remove posts and hand out warnings to anyone that calls BS on the propaganda being presently pushed.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Lock this one up too Gate. Don't need people talking about controversy within the BCWF. We need more carpet!!!

These updates from the BCWF are just that- updates. They aren't intended to serve as your personal propaganda outlet. Maybe you need a rest from HBC, you seem wound up. Why don't you get back to us in a week and let us know how your crusade went at your meeting.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I tell you what Troy, it has nothing to do with my friends but a whole bunch to do with why wildlife in this province is in the state it is in.
    Tell me how an organization can be portrayed as a charitable conservation group and all the while be pushing for the maximum resident harvest of huntable wildlife species.
    Think about it.

BCWF is an old organization that was created and designed for a different age.

There was a time when hunting and fish and game clubs were (for lack of better terms) much more normal and mainstream. Times have changed. Some F&G clubs, in some areas, are doing good work and are involved in...fish and game. Others are facing the twin challenges of an aging membership and members who join to have access to a shooting range. The general public (which votes, influences policy and is often poorly informed) largely does not see F&G clubs as cutting edge positive forces for the public good.

As I understand it, BCWF is supposed to represent the interests of all these F&G clubs, which is why F&G clubs pay funds and send reps to BCWF.

The problem is: what are the interests of F&G clubs? Is it gun rights? Hunting rights? Conservation?

Go ahead and pick one or all of those, but realize that they can then be broken down further. For gun rights, do we mean the ability to own firearms that allow us to hunt for meat during hunting season, or do we mean the right to own scary black rifles dressed up with tac gear that we can use at a range even if we never go hunting? Do hunting rights include maintaining a trophy hunting industry for private businesses, or does it just mean the right to hunt a deer? Does conservation mean fighting pipelines and fish farms, or does it mean managing wildlife populations for maximum game hunting opportunities?

Anyone can see that we can cut each of those issues up more and more finely, and as we do the adherents of each particular sub-issue will hive off and support it's favorite.

And when they do they will express admiration for their own concerns and disdain for other people's concerns. We see it here all the time. One guy says governance is critical, another guy says predator reduction is where we really need to go, another says we have to ally ourselves with commercial interests, another says we have do distance ourselves from commercial interests, another guy says we need to tell the majority of the population that they're wrong and we're right. On and on it goes.

And when BCWF doesn't satisfy one of those sub-groups, BCWF gets shit on.

Despite that, I think it's very fair to say that BCWF has made some substantial progress in an environment where it is tough to make progress. Look at this sub-forum. It's become more active recently. BCWF also sponsored the recent Mule Deer presentation in Kelowna. I'm sure others can add to the list.

I had a chat with BCWF president Harvey Andrusak and came away convinced that he understands the problems and will work hard to resolve them, but I also realized that he has a thankless job.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the field we face a well equipped, skilled and capable opponent. Raincoast is an example. As discussed elsewhere on this forum is in the middle of a campaign to raise $500,000. They have actual scientists on staff who promote their moral agenda. They absolutely decimate us in the press and in social media, and they are putting points on the board.

Our response? We bitch at each other and speculate about how much we could do if only we actually got our acts together and did something.

We all know from life experience that bitching and dreaming doesn't accomplish jack shit.

What does accomplish something? Taking action, especially when that action is modeled on the successful activities of others.

Chris Seervheen, who ran (I think) the US Inter-agency Grizzly program in the US, recommends parking a lot of differences at the door, because to win a war you need allies. How do you decide what differences you're going to allow to be parked? It goes back to what we want to accomplish.

And that will take a lot of work and compromise. Only when that is done will we be able to start moving forward.

So, the obvious question is: is BCWF the vehicle to undertake the whole job, or is it a group that has to park some of it's own issues at the door, and do other groups have to allow it to park the issues there? I don't know the answer.

What I do know is that the more people abandon and criticize the BCWF without creating another organization to complement it, the worse it will be for all of us.

Personally, what I want to accomplish is the preservation and enhancement of a wild landscape that is home to the most naturally diverse population of plants and animals possible, maintained in a balanced, natural and sustainable manner, with as much access for humans to pursue traditional recreational and food harvesting activities as possible.

I think BCWF is working in the same direction enough that I will stand with them and support them.

FWIW, if you share my goals and want to be part of a group that compliments BCWF's efforts but is perhaps a little more agile, I accept cash, cheques, Interac transfers and Bitcoin.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Well said Rob, thanks for your post, I really believe in this day and age when the outdoor sector is getting hammered from all angles we need a voice like BCWF more than ever or we won't have anything left to Hunt or Fish.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I don't believe the organization is out of the woods yet, with still more talk of further skeletons in the closet. Pretty hard to support an organization that can't seem to keep itself out of trouble. For that reason and many more, I will be advocating for the Mission Rod and Gun club to leave the Fed at the upcoming AGM. It is, what it is....
    Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!
    I'm sure that the Fed will continue and the rest of us will try to keep it accountable, focused in representing the residents fishers and hunters on hunting and fishing issues .
    Goodbye MDFGA..............!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Well said Rob, thanks for your post, I really believe in this day and age when the outdoor sector is getting hammered from all angles we need a voice like BCWF more than ever or we won't have anything left to Hunt or Fish.
    Ill second this.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

The BCWF has been to hell and back over the last couple of years and proved it is here to stay, now is the time for all hunters and fishers of BC to pull together to support the new executive in getting things done. It won't happen over night but it is happening as you read this. And for the few disenters either get on board and help save our outdoor heritage or just get out of the way and see what you can get done as individuals. For the Mission Club I say think long and hard before you listen to the very few oomsayers with their own personal axes to grind. Vote to remain with the BCWF and choose your representatives carefully and wisely. This is your future as well

i think all the positive comments on this thread goes a long way to suggest we can rise from the ashes and be great again or at least as great as we can be given our position. all the positive quotes are inspiring. rob chipman makes some very good points in his post and i hope we get back to it.please give some consideration to helping out before it is too late.
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    i think all the positive comments on this thread goes a long way to suggest we can rise from the ashes and be great again or at least as great as we can be given our position. all the positive quotes are inspiring. rob chipman makes some very good points in his post and i hope we get back to it.please give some consideration to helping out before it is too late.
    A Men Brother.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.