Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BCWF- Changes at the BCWF

Re: BCWF- Changes at the BCWF

The winds of change are most definitely blowing in the right direction.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    I tell you what Troy, it has nothing to do with my friends but a whole bunch to do with why wildlife in this province is in the state it is in.
    Tell me how an organization can be portrayed as a charitable conservation group and all the while be pushing for the maximum resident harvest of huntable wildlife species.
    Think about it.
    Not exactly true. BCWF fights for hunter opportunity, and the regs are the safety valve in what gets taken. Regulated hunters are almost never the problem with death rates, and the conservation comes from keeping things sustainable and fostering good management practices and good habitat management. If it wasn't for the hunters in BC putting some value in wildlife, there would be no interest in making things sustainable or striving for more.

Why is all the talk about ungulate problems and nothing about song birds or martin? because the value is in huntable species..
    No way can the Fed be blamed for the state of wildlife, if you take a look back the same fight has been waged for decades
    Some less-than-stellar decisions have been made in time, but look at who ultimately makes those decisions and then look at those that had influence.
    Note, the elk problems in the Peace and the Koots of too many on private lands has been addressed to some extent as designed, yet other hunters still want more on the same turf.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Good points Rob. Brings to mind an old quote by someone involved 30? years ago
    'The world is run by those that show up.'
    There is a process and club members drive the process. People that flex and get with it stay at the table, those that resist or pout because they don't get their own way soon leave.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good points Rob. Brings to mind an old quote by someone involved 30? years ago
    'The world is run by those that show up.'

There is a process and club members drive the process. People that flex and get with it stay at the table, those that resist or pout because they don't get their own way soon leave.
    That may be an old saying, but it is every bit s true today as it has always been. When the members are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard change can be effected, we have seen that, now lets work together to drive this great organization we have.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Congrats to The newly re-elected executive of BCWF Region 2 and the BOD members, old and new. All ahead full.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Not exactly true. BCWF fights for hunter opportunity, and the regs are the safety valve in what gets taken. Regulated hunters are almost never the problem with death rates, and the conservation comes from keeping things sustainable and fostering good management practices and good habitat management. If it wasn't for the hunters in BC putting some value in wildlife, there would be no interest in making things sustainable or striving for more.

Why is all the talk about ungulate problems and nothing about song birds or martin? because the value is in huntable species..
    No way can the Fed be blamed for the state of wildlife, if you take a look back the same fight has been waged for decades
    Some less-than-stellar decisions have been made in time, but look at who ultimately makes those decisions and then look at those that had influence.
    Note, the elk problems in the Peace and the Koots of too many on private lands has been addressed to some extent as designed, yet other hunters still want more on the same turf.
    You bring up an interesting point boxhitch....the elk problems in the Peace and the Koots on private land.
    When too many of any wildlife species congregate on private land they tend to be looked at as a liability by many of the landowners.
    The payback would probably be huge if the liability were turned into a valued asset.
    This topic came up recently at a wildlife meeting and it was recognized that jurisdictions that had buy in from private landholders have been extremely successful in growing thriving big game populations for all.
    Youre also right on the fact that some less than stellar decisions have been made that has negative consequences on wildlife due to demand of the resource.
    The biggest problem we are all facing is the lack of accountability in wildlife management.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    You bring up an interesting point boxhitch....the elk problems in the Peace and the Koots on private land.
    When too many of any wildlife species congregate on private land they tend to be looked at as a liability by many of the landowners.
    The payback would probably be huge if the liability were turned into a valued asset.
    This topic came up recently at a wildlife meeting and it was recognized that jurisdictions that had buy in from private landholders have been extremely successful in growing thriving big game populations for all.
    Youre also right on the fact that some less than stellar decisions have been made that has negative consequences on wildlife due to demand of the resource.
    The biggest problem we are all facing is the lack of accountability in wildlife management.
    And thats where a Independent Audit comes in. Review management from the bottom up and I feel that many minds will be changed.
    Money spent well now, will be money saved later.