Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This past weekend report --- glad I am hauling my camera along at least

Re: This past weekend report --- glad I am hauling my camera along at least

nice pics VFX

wow great photos at least you saw some game.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Beautiful pictures. That sounds like one expensive lens. What are your goto settings for wildlife? I find I have to increase shutter speed quite a bit with my 300mm lens but with a cheap lens and limited aperture it sometimes results in some higher ISO than I'd like.
    Speaking for myself, I set a maximum ISO and then shoot in shutter priority. Many of the photos are under-exposed, but I can address that in post-processing (and I suck at post - would never even think to do something like the original posters opening shot).

I use a Nikon V1 with a 1" sensor and an 800mm equivalent lens... I've seen my habits shift from shooting in aperture priority to shooting in shutter priority because of the gear/conditions/subject. I'm serious thinking of switching to one of the new Canon EOS M bodies, which would gain me something like 3 stops of light (but I'd end up with a 450mm equivalent lens at my budget).

Me.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Speaking for myself, I set a maximum ISO and then shoot in shutter priority. Many of the photos are under-exposed, but I can address that in post-processing (and I suck at post - would never even think to do something like the original posters opening shot).

I use a Nikon V1 with a 1" sensor and an 800mm equivalent lens... I've seen my habits shift from shooting in aperture priority to shooting in shutter priority because of the gear/conditions/subject. I'm serious thinking of switching to one of the new Canon EOS M bodies, which would gain me something like 3 stops of light (but I'd end up with a 450mm equivalent lens at my budget).

Me.
    I try to have the camera sitting in full auto for everything by default. I find sometime it's pull, shoot and pray --- It's just like hunting, have the fewest steps you need to do to pull the trigger.

While driving on the backroads, have my camera next to me, on and "loaded". My gun is next to me, with the bolt open and cartridges in my jacket pocket -and- in the center console for easy quick access [just wished my Weatherby had a magazine].

I fired quick fully automatic photos to get the elk, then started adjusting and working on composition and camera settings. I had time to walk back and change lenses too since they were not sure what they wanted to do and were just standing there.

This is about to scale of what I was seeing with the naked eye. So the lens is critical for up and personable wildlife photos.

Just have to be always on the ready . . . and learn to anticipate what your target might do. Great thing about photography, it's always open season!

Cheers, VFX

Eagle was in Squamish

wow! great work there VFX...
    poster quality