Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sign of deer in 8-14, 3-19 and 2-8 this weekend.

No sign of deer in 8-14, 3-19 and 2-8 this weekend.

Left on Thursday from Van to Greenwood up Boundary Cr. Stayed up on the 20th klick for 2 nights. Not a signal sighting of anything moving besides a few Quails. It was snowing hard around 11pm on Thursday when we got there, continued to snow the next morning then everything got blocked off by fog. Tons of tracks everywhere, deer, rabbits, quails even saw some moose tracks. Met lots of other hunters up there, everyone just been driving around with nothing to report. One guy was there with his kid for 4 days and hasnt seen anything. Forests have some sketchy areas in there, i fell waste deep into snow a few times trying to shoot a Quail. Anyways 8-14 was very disappointing, looks like they weren't even moving during the day due to the heavy snow.

Saturday evening we decided to drive up to Marritt up at 3-19, there was tons of snow on the ground but it didnt snow and it wasnt foggy. However every side road thats off course from the main logging road are sketchy AF. Ended up sliding into a riven with some dry fallen logs - punctured the side wall of my left front tire. Paths have a lot of fallen trees, branches are all slopped down with the weight of the snow. So lots of chainsaw and hacking is needed, beware.

We found 2 different fresh Moose tracks but only old deer tracks, rabbits, shot a few quails. Looks like all the deer are down at the bottoms on the dry private lands. On the way back on Sunday evening saw a 4 pointer Mule chilling right on the hill of a fence-less private property.

After 3-19 decided to try something closer to home and went over to Stave at 2-8 for a night. No snow or fog there, but the roads require a decent off road vehicle. Anything thats a truck with out a small lift and 33s is gona have a hard time getting up some slopes. If there's snow on the ground just turn around. The main problem was it was stormy and pissing rain so we were confined to the cars. No tracks no poop, no deer.

Regardless of all the fuss we all had a blast of a weekend. Gona try Stave next week again since its still "any buck" in that area. My gut feeling is to stay away from areas with snow.

Just wanted to give my expy and heads up to you guys bout our weekend adventures and what to expect in those areas.

Slip

2. Site Sponsor

Re: No sign of deer in 8-14, 3-19 and 2-8 this weekend.

Btw..ainimals are not moving usually day or 2 after first snow..

I think the quails you were referring to,are actually grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    I think the quails you were referring to,are actually grouse.

You're right, they look very sim so we just call them Quails

Tip for 8-14 don't drive around

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Tip for 8-14 don't drive around
    There are some times when covering ground driving is a great strategy in that country, but it's way earlier in the year. By now, you're right; find areas with tracks and sit.

i have harvested deer in all 3 regions you mentioned...

seems like you got bored to quick but got some exploring in..

find sign than hunt it.

I was in the northern part of 3-18 and 3-19 for a couple days this weekend. There are deer around, as usual, but there is no sign of the rut going on.

Seen 20 does in 3-18 and not a single one being chased by a buck.

Again, no sign of rut where i was and based on the does i observed. Others may have had different observations.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    i have harvested deer in all 3 regions you mentioned...

seems like you got bored to quick but got some exploring in..

find sign than hunt it.

You're right, friends and i just started hunting so our knowledge inst vast but expectations are high. We're deff still very shitty hunters are this point. However we did explorer a lot and learned a lot of areas. Next year it would be easier to gauge where to go for sure.

Slip

are you sure you were in the christian valley because it doesn't sound like it