Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3 4-12x50 bt

Z3 4-12x50 bt

Just bought a Z3 4-12x50 BT plex. I was back and forth on BT and it was between the Z5 3.5-18x44 BT and Z3, but the Z3 on sale and with a trade I paid $100 difference. I have a Z3 3-10x42 on my 7mm weatherby and this 4-12 will go on the .30-378. With the same bases an QD rings these 2 scopes will float between mine and my wifes Mk5 rifles.

Still not sure if i need BT because i don't shoot over 400 and these calibers are pretty well flat out to that distance. But I will set them up and utilise them anyways. I love that 3-10 because its so nice and light and this 4-12 is only a couple ounces heavier.

Anyone got the Z3 4-12x50 BT? Im sure ill be very satisfied but still pondering the z5. I don't think i need 18x zoom, 12 is plenty. Only thing might be the parallax adjustment or lack of on the Z3.

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Z3 4-12x50 bt

My son is just having a Benchmark Barrel installed on a Kimber Montana 84m and he bought the Z3 4-12x50 BT Plex for his rifle, beautifully clear optics for sure, I'm looking forward to trying it out at the range.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I've used the 4-12x50 BT. Great scope, but a potential issue is only 41MOA of adjustment from top to bottom. I've seen this scope be limited on the BT to only 5moa of adjustment once the rifle was sighted in at 200y. The fix was switching scope mounts to Burris Signature with the MOA inserts to straighten things out
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Okay good to know about the elevation adjustments. I might be wrong but Swaro seems to have less adjustment than others??

On a good note on the Mk5s and the talley bases and rings I find scopes do not need much adjustment to centre. And with the weatherby caliber being fairly flat I'm hoping it's not an issue
    Last edited by firebird; 11-14-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I've used the 4-12x50 BT. Great scope, but a potential issue is only 41MOA of adjustment from top to bottom. I've seen this scope be limited on the BT to only 5moa of adjustment once the rifle was sighted in at 200y. The fix was switching scope mounts to Burris Signature with the MOA inserts to straighten things out
    Thats GOOD Info there ! RJ

Got it mounted today and laser bore sighted. I didn't even make any adjustments dead on with the laser so that means I'll only have to move it a few inches when I sight it in. So far I like it, clear at 12x, light for a 4-12x50. Turret is not a big tall thing, it's fairly low profile. One thing I noticed is the plex reticle is much larger than the plex in the 3-10. Any larger and I wouldn't keep the scope.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I had that same issue on the Zeiss 3-15x42 Z800, 100 yards it was awesome but turn the power up and try to see the target at 300 yards and the reticle was to big and would cover the cross on the target, I traded it for a rifle !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I have a gong out at 500 behind the house I dialled it to 12x and aimed and no problem with the reticle covering it so it should be good.

i can image a big reticle Z800 would cover a lot of the field of view. Same as I wouldn't want the BRX reticle in this scope.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Got it mounted today and laser bore sighted. I didn't even make any adjustments dead on with the laser so that means I'll only have to move it a few inches when I sight it in. So far I like it, clear at 12x, light for a 4-12x50. Turret is not a big tall thing, it's fairly low profile. One thing I noticed is the plex reticle is much larger than the plex in the 3-10. Any larger and I wouldn't keep the scope.
    Can you post a picture of it? Interested to see this low profile BT looks. Because the swarovski BT I've seen was quite large and not low profile at all

PM me your email or cell # I'll send pics. I had that concern, big tall turret sticking up to get bashed off something but it's not. It's barely taller than the objective. Unlike the tall Vortex or Nightforce turrets. Are you thinking the X5s or Z8 turrets, they are big too.