Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ageing Geese and ducks.

Ageing Geese and ducks.

Hello Fellow Hunters!

I went out this past weekend and blasted my first two birds! A Canada goose and a Mallard! I was just wondering how you all age your waterfowl?
    What I am doing is leaving in my cold garage for 3 days guts in (they are not gut shot). I wanted to know what others do and there experience.

Also if you could point me in the direction of some delicious recipes!

Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ageing Geese and ducks.

31 views but a single reply?

I don't know anyone who ages ducks or geese pluck them or breast them right away seems to be the normal

only person I met who did this was when I was a kid. He was English and told us it was common in Europe but it seems to be rare in North America

I think in this case google is the way to go for answers

Clean them right away. They are not like moose or deer that have to hang for a few days prior to butchering. Never could understand why the English hung their duck by the head until they fell off the neck.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swamper View Post
    Clean them right away. They are not like moose or deer that have to hang for a few days prior to butchering. Never could understand why the English hung their duck by the head until they fell off the neck.
    Tender delicious meat.. I hang mine for 5 days, clean easier, much more tender meat and IMO far less game flavor.

leaving the guts in anything i have harvested goes against all my theories...

I tried this with the last set of ducks I got after reading a bunch of articles on aging birds. Debreast them right away and clean any pellets or shot up spots. Then we laid the breast on paper towel on a cookie sheet and put it in the fridge for the night.
    I've cut up my own deer meat for years and have a cold room so I've seen the changes hanging deer does over a couple days. Using the fridge to do the same idea on duck breasts does the same thing. Tasted great but haven't had enough luck to try this method for a couple days to see the right amount to age them.

yes aging is fine but with guts in not so much.

Waterfowl doesn't need to be aged but always clean the birds as soon as you can. Leaving the guts inside keeps the heat in and leads to spoilage.

My old dog training mentor used to say "'ang 'em oop by the neck till the goots fall down and plog their a$$holes, then they are prime to eat"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.