Thread: Recipe for Deer neck roast

Recipe for Deer neck roast

Hi everyone, just came back from getting my first doe. Haven't hunted in over 25 years. I forgot how much I enjoyed it!
    Anyway, heard that the neck makes a great roast in the crock pot, anyone have any recipes.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recipe for Deer neck roast

With deer I use salt and pepper only on any roast. As far as neck goes I usually just run it through the meat grinder add taco seasoning place on tortilla with your favourite veg and salsa . Yumm . Oh and don't overcook roast medium rare is great.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Re: Recipe for Deer neck roast

With a neck roast you're going to want to braise low and slow for a long time, don't pull it out until it's falling apart.
    Medium rare is not how you want a neck roast, it would be tough as hell.
    I usually sear my neck roast on all sides after liberally salting it, no pepper before searing you don't want to burn your pepper it gets bitter.
    Sear it in your roasting pan, cast iron ceramic is best.
    Pull the roast out and deglaze with a cup of red wine, add a bunch of garlic cloves and a chopped onion into the liquid and put the roast back in, now grind pepper into the mix.
    Top up your braising liquid with some stock, anything works.
    250 for 5 hours or so usually breaks them down pretty good.
    Now the next step is key and is where most people screw up with slow cooked roasts, let it sit in the brasing liquid until it's cooled down to almost room temperature, this allows the juices rendered out to reabsorb into the meat.
    After it's cooled off pull it out of the liquid and then strain the the liquid out and thicken it with a roux for an excellent gravy, the hot gravy will heat the meat up perfectly when you serve it.
    Oh yeah if you like mushrooms add a bunch to the pan with the onions and garlic, pick them out and add them to your gravy.
    Couple sprigs of thyme doesn't hurt either, you can't really go wrong here.