Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ageing Geese and ducks.

Re: Ageing Geese and ducks.

my dad used to pluck them them dress them out then hang them up by the neck usually overnight in the garage then mom would rinse them out the next day stuffthem with either wild rice or a strong sage dressing then roast them in the oven they were always delicious

Take 'em home, pluck them, gut them and freeze them. I have a buddy who hangs them for a week or more, guts in, gut shot or not and when he brings his birds to a pot luck they taste like shit.

I often age my ducks for up to a week in a cool spot. Whether they taste better is debatable, I'm confident they don't taste any worse. I've gotten a bunch of great recipes from the book Duck, Duck, Goose, but my favourite is still pan fry the breasts skin on with a bit of spice. I also make a batch or two of smoked duck jerky every year....I'm addicted to that stuff.

Most important thing to remember is to cook them med rare at most - over cooking waterfowl is the big sin and really makes them taste like crap. If the bird tastes like liver or gamey, it is probably overcooked.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-17-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Always soak them in kosher salt over night either breasted or plucked ,turn them into pepperoni and sausage from sumas meats delicious .

I know a guy that said that you hang a grouse by the head until the body falls of and then it was ready to eat.

There's just something about rotten fowl that doesn't turn my crank! If it's an older bird' with lots of fat,I pluck,em gut,em then brine,em in the fridge over night then stuff,em then roast,em slow. If their a young bird, breast them and brine them for stew or sausage.