Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a situation that came up today.

Opinions on a situation that came up today.

Took my daughters up to get some cedar and spruce bows for decorating, and while we were up the hill wanted to bring them into a spot that had a bunch of fresh sign over the last couple days.
    First off all the girls were amazing they hiked in about half km and were super quiet(7,5, and 3 years old)
    we get into the spot which showed plenty more fresh sign
    as we are sitting there, one of my daughters notices smoke right behind us and quickly the smoke grew thick and all around us.
    Packed up our things and started back down, through several slash piles that had been set ablaze.

There was 2 trucks parked next to mine and no one around(assuming they were out lighting more.) as I get the girls into the truck another truck pulls up and a guy wearing a Tolkien high vis gets out and jokes “hope you brought the hot dogs”.

i was a bit pissed off due to the fact there was no effort to make people in the area aware of what they were doing, and especially pissed off cause I had my daughters with me

An are all known for hunting and with a couple days left of Moose season this appears to be quite the dick move on their part.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opinions on a situation that came up today.

My opinion is that you're in an active work area and it's your responsibility to make sure you don't get caught in the middle of it

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    My opinion is that you're in an active work area and it's your responsibility to make sure you don't get caught in the middle of it
    X2 they can't stop doing their job cuz hunters might be in the area

Its a forestry road on forestry land things like this will happen. I'd just explain to the kids what slash burning is, what its benefits are for forestry and also how excellent animal forage is to come
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

those guys you encountered were obviously rookies, everyone knows you bring smokies to a slash burning, not hotdogs
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024

All of the above, plus not sure if you were concerned about your safety but they light slash when there is basically no risk of it going anywhere.
    KCCO

Yeah, bad timing. I can only imagine what was going through your mind with all the little ones in tow, which was probably downright scary. I don't blame you for being upset. Just take note of those fresh slashes and waiting burn piles in the future, and hopefully you won't be caught in it again.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Ive driven down long stretches where the slash is burning on both sides, forward vis is almost NIL...its an awesome experience, nothing to be concerned about unless you parked on the slash pile
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Thanks guys

Ive seen deer standing beside still smoldering slash piles. Smoke doesn't bother the game if that's what your concerned about.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct