Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishy Bear

Re: Fishy Bear

Hmm pass if it were me..i used Vicks under my nose for caping fish fed bears..

100 % of salmon fed bears now rely on hedisarium" tuber to kill the bugs in their stomachs so as not to be eaten alive in hibernation..found on north facing slopes under ground tuber/plant.
    Srupp

Whats with the naysayers?
    H , nothing ventured, nothing gained. It will cost you a bear tag, lots of those around too.
    It may be good eats, the right seasoning can hide almost anything, someone may appreciate the superior dog food, takes another pred off the landscape, another story, lots of pluses.
    Down side is a little effort
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Well so far none of the responders mentioned any firsthand experience. Fireonethree and I shot and ate a fish bear many years ago. Its hide smelled to high heaven of fish, but it did NOT taste like fish whatsoever.... So there you have it, can't guarantee it but that is how it was.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The one we just got smelled like a salmon. Gonna eat it anyway. I probably don’t have much choice here on the island- lots of rivers.
    Hunt the Spring, not fall during the salmon return/spawning.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

good one .lol

Thanks for all the insight into this.

Arrow Re: Fishy Bear

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The one we just got smelled like a salmon. Gonna eat it anyway. I probably don’t have much choice here on the island- lots of rivers.
    Lots of choice here on The Rock! Look for areas away from the rivers. Mountain Berry Bears are Excellent this time of year, and yield a LOT of good fat for making lard. Meat is quite good too!

My latest had no smell to him whatsoever, and is in fact delicious. And yeah, from the Island. Up a longs ways from any fish bearing river...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Lots of choice here on The Rock! Look for areas away from the rivers. Mountain Berry Bears are Excellent this time of year, and yield a LOT of good fat for making lard. Meat is quite good too!

My latest had no smell to him whatsoever, and is in fact delicious. And yeah, from the Island. Up a longs ways from any fish bearing river...

Cheers,
    Nog

looks like he`s just laying there waiting for you to scratch his belly!!!..lol, and i second the berry bear, my last one was shot way up top, away from any salmon streams or rivers, not a drop of fish smell, and extremely tasty!

So how long does it take in the spring for the "fish" bears to clean out their systems (i.e. take away the fishy smell/taste so they are a good meat bear)?

IF it tastes fishy just turn it all into dog food, a good bear is a dead bear.