Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishy Bear

Fishy Bear

I came across a good sized bear eating nasty looking dead fish the other day. This bear was located in an area where fish certainly wouldn't be a main staple of the bear's diet until last month. So...how long until the bear tastes fishy so to speak?? I had contemplated shooting the bear but now I'm unsure that it would have actually tasted differently.
    Last edited by hparrott; 11-12-2017 at 09:47 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishy Bear

I would pass

The one we just got smelled like a salmon. Gonna eat it anyway. I probably don’t have much choice here on the island- lots of rivers.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

guest Guest

Yuk, although always thumbs up for predator hunting, I do like to eat bear, black or grizzly, that said i vow to never shoot a fish bear, if I want fish tasting meat...... I go fishing.

Just my 2 cents

I imagine it had a Great hide, shinny and healthy from fish, but the meat is not going to be favourable.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Yuk, although always thumbs up for predator hunting, I do like to eat bear, black or grizzly, that said i vow to never shoot a fish bear, if I want fish tasting meat...... I go fishing.

Just my 2 cents
    I couldn't agree more. I have also vowed to never eat a fish bear either but that's why I pondered it because I know fish had not been available until a month ago. If you go eat McDonalds everyday your body composition is going to take time to change right? So I wasn't sure how long it would take to be gross.

Get it smoked bear smoked it might just be some of the best smoked salmon you will ever have, but I would pass

The problem isn't the bear's been eating fish. The problem is its been eating rotten fish. If it lived on a fresh fish diet sign me up. When the fishing's good they high grade a couple chomps and leave it and on to the next one when the run starts slowing down the go to clean up mode on carcasses well into decay, its pretty disgusting.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    The problem isn't the bear's been eating fish. The problem is its been eating rotten fish. If it lived on a fresh fish diet sign me up. When the fishing's good they high grade a couple chomps and leave it and on to the next one when the run starts slowing down the go to clean up mode on carcasses well into decay, its pretty disgusting.

Or carrion?
    They say it will taste like what it has been recently eating. This is why a cougar tastes great according to people who eat/ate it. It eats mainly fresh meat & carrion only if starving.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Don't eat anything that craps like a man . Problem solved
    wonder what’s over the next hill?