Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hunter... looking for black tail opinions!!

New hunter... looking for black tail opinions!!

Hey guys, new hunter Here. First actual season. Was wondering what you guys would do in a situation for blacktail. I saw one rub fairly fresh today but nothing other than that. Would you watch this area or find new spots with more sign? Or even hike the timber in the area? Thanks for the help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunter... looking for black tail opinions!!

If you found a spot with recent buck activity your in a good spot.Deer travel from their beds to feeding areas. Try and figure out their travel routes.If you see any does you are in a good area. Blacktail rut is kicking into gear,find does and you will find bucks. Good luck.

Target that bugger, doesn't mean you can't move throughout the day, but frequent that area.
    especially sit tight for first and last light in that area
    good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

I would not get excited over 1 rub but I would do a slow still hunt to see whatever sign I missed. There is a possibility you miss identified the sign or missed others but I don't find lone rubs

Unless you find more deer/rut sign I would not invest too many days into the location from the info you have given. I also have not seen the area first hand so it's hard to give advice on only a small amount of info

Good luck either way

I like the slow silent walk. Don’t get hung up on one rub. I have scoured an area that was covered in rubs but the deer were long gone (it was an island). You must find where the does are hanging out. A bit of rattling can be good too. If you rattle you must commit to sitting and waiting a good while. I missed a big bt once because I left too soon.

IMO fresh rubs are a good sign. And here is why:
    I put a camera out less than 3 weeks ago where I saw various rubs...old, kinda fresh etc. Brand new spot, never hunted, never knew there were deer....
    I had a nice 2pt on my cam within a few days. Within the last week he came back a couple of times and so did another 3pt. The bigger the tree that is rubbed the bigger the deer. I know there are also a few does around.

Hit that spot again today... did a still slow hunt rattled a little bit then waited and kept it going... Saw one doe which I know is good cause a buck or two may be around. I also found a nice 6x6 set of elk sheds! Was in an area of region 2 where elk were 're introduced so nice sign!

Often you do not see a lot of sign or even tracks depending on the terrain but they are around. If the rub is fresh you might want to hit that spot at different times and sit and watch - if it is not too thick and you can see. Put a camera up. Sounds like the spot is not to far up the valley

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    Often you do not see a lot of sign or even tracks depending on the terrain but they are around. If the rub is fresh you might want to hit that spot at different times and sit and watch - if it is not too thick and you can see. Put a camera up. Sounds like the spot is not to far up the valley
    Hey! Thanks for the advice! We are low in the valley not too far up! Lots of elk sign and deer sign in there. Would elk keep the deer out of that area? Doesn't seem like it because like i said sign of both..!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter9619 View Post
    Hey! Thanks for the advice! We are low in the valley not too far up! Lots of elk sign and deer sign in there. Would elk keep the deer out of that area? Doesn't seem like it because like i said sign of both..!
    Was actually going to ask your personal experience with this. Sounds like we hunt the same general area, I see lots of elk sign and some deer sign here and there but much more from elk especially once the snow hits, last time I pulled the card on a trail cam I have on a creek bed there I had plenty of cow elk passing through but not one deer. Also found a single rub in the area a few weeks ago and will be going back this weekend to do a more thorough search and check the cam, will keep you posted.