Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken down truck sun peaks looking for ideas

Broken down truck sun peaks looking for ideas

Hey so got a truck, suspected broken radiator or busted off hose or something, truck won't run and now it's 8km up a mountain snowy icy road. Very difficult to get a truck up to tow, maybe anyone a field mechanic? Will cover costs if anyone's got some serious ideas or the gear and know how to recover this beast

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broken down truck sun peaks looking for ideas

Did it overheat? An engine will still start and run (for a short time) even if the rad or hose is broken. But if it overheats and won't run, then you have more serious issues and I doubt a field fix will be possible.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Why not start by diagnosing the leak yourself?dump water in rad see where water comes out pretty straight forward.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Ya we are heading back out in am for full diagnosis. And potentially to try and recover carefully with another truck

What yr, make, model? Spark, fuel? Turns over but won't start?? Need more info before we can offer any suggestions.

Plus us smart asses need to know the make, yr, model to know whether to tell you to leave the POS where it is. lol
    Best of luck with it..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Kk we have some hunches more info tomorrow. Went full send today. Pushed to far

Bring water and a product called iron--tite. It's meant to deal or slow leaks in a cooling system. It's not great practice to use it but sounds like you are in a punch.

Also if you run the heater on full and don't fully seat the rad cap so it won't hold pressure then the leak can slow down

Oh, and use tire chains.

Years ago I was wheeling solo on an old jeep trail with bald tires. Got stuck in a mud hole and overheated the engine trying to get her out. The engine simply wouldn't run at that point. I walked out a good 23kms. Went back with a friends truck a few days later to tow her out, my truck fired right up and ran great and I almost idled it out of the hole as a bunch of the water had drained out. A number of months later the truck started blowing white smoke out the tailpipe...head was warped and coolant was getting in the oil.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

There is a large gash in the rad.

Replcing the rad in the field by us is the option unless someone is a mechanic available for pick up in kamloops

also any harm in slowly driving down the hill and making sure the engine stays cool