Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting without a dog

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Hunting without a dog

Something to consider...Acquiring a dog, training it, including to retrieve, and having it at home
    throughout the year is not only a huge commitment, but will severely tie you down as well.
    If you would like to have a dog for most of the non-hunting year then go for it...otherwise maybe
    hunt without one the best you can. Even my wife and I, who really enjoy having our lab as a companion
    throughout the year, sometimes wish we weren't shackled with having to either take it along with us,
    leave it at home for short periods of time, or find a kennel to keep him. So many times when we couldn't
    take him with us we've had to cut short our outings in order to accommodate our dog's needs.

I use to have a dog 20 years ago and I totally understand what you are saying about the commitment of owning a dog. I recall having to cut trips short or find someone to take care of him. For now I will definitely be finding ways to duck hunt without a dog.

I use a canoe extensively to hunt a couple tidal spots here around Duncan. I carry my layout, and about 3 to 4 dozen decoys and hook up my electric motor to the canoe. I like to set up my layout at water edge and stash the canoe a little ways behind me. Then I reposition my layout and decoys as the tides dictate. A bit of work but effective. When a buddy comes along, I sometimes bring my 14' flat bottom punt just because it has more room. Most of my ducks can be retrieved by wading but if a cripple wants to swim straight out, then I use the canoe. And on windy days in a falling tide, a dead bird can drift out very far very fast. I cant see running down a cripple or a long bird like this in a float tube.

If you do wade out, make sure you have a pole in hand. Lots of "holes" that you can fall into quickly putting the water level over your waders. I found this out last year the hard way. Luckily for me, only my pride was hurt, but I could have been much worse.

If you are after a canoe or something for ducks, Cabelas in Nanaimo is blowing out there canoes and kayaks. I just bought a camo 15.5' square stern canoe for $999 that reg sells for $2199. They had two left yesterday (one green , one camo). They are also flogging thier kayaks. Have a couple camo ones that would be good little duck rigs.

I have a 14' green old town canoe that I have no use for now since I bought my new one. If you want you are interested, drop me a pm. I'll be letting it go for about $250
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Hi Ron, Thank you for all the great information and tips. I appreciate of offer of buying your canoe. I will keep that in mind as it would be handy to use for trout fishing as well. I love my pontoon boat but having a canoe would be great so I can bring my kids out fishing.
    I fellow that works at Cabelas offered to take me out and show me the ins and outs of waterfowl hunting. I believe he hunts in Cedar just over the Cedar bridge.

I am concerned about the shotgun I borrow from my dad as it is older and has a full choke that shoots 2 3/4 shells or smaller. From doing some reading it seems the most common is a 12g IM choke with 3" shells.

Lots of waterfowl has dropped from 2 3/4 12ga nothing wrong with it. I started with a single shot 2/34 12ga as a kid with no issues

You will have no problem just don't be sky blasting and I would say that even if you were shooting 31/2s

[QUOTE=Wild one;1952487]Lots of waterfowl has dropped from 2 3/4 12ga nothing wrong with it. I started with a single shot 2/34 12ga as a kid with no issues

You will have no problem just don't be sky blasting and I would say that even if you were shooting

It's a 20g but should do the trick I feel. As long as I don't try and make long shots. From what I have watched and read seems like you want to make most shots no longer than 30 yards.

I have never hunted waterfowl with a 20 so don't know what to tell you there. Geese are tough so they might be an issue

odds are there is someone here with more knowledge on 20ga for waterfowl then I. Definitely not my first choice

I shoot a 20 gauge about 50% of the time. Can kill anything a 12 gauge can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    .... I am concerned about the shotgun I borrow from my dad as it is older and has a full choke that shoots 2 3/4 shells or smaller. From doing some reading it seems the most common is a 12g IM choke with 3" shells.
    I'd be concerned that old gun won't handle steel shot safely... can't use lead...

I was wondering about the steel and lead. Maybe it's time I go shopping for a 12g anybody recommend a decent shotgun around 500 to 700 bucks or cheaper?