Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting without a dog

Hunting without a dog

Does anybody waterfowl hunt without using a dog to retrieve the ducks/geese? If so how do you go about it? I have read people use a fishing rod, boat, or a float tube. Has anybody used either of these methods?

2. Site Sponsor

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Hunting without a dog

I have on occasion, using a canoe, small punt, or chest waders.
    Keep in mind though, especially if you're hunting waterfowl in the Interior or Cariboo,
    that the bottom of many lakes and sloughs have quicksand like mud that can be very
    dangerous and hard to get out of.

Thankyou for the tip. I live on Vancouver Island. I'm not sure what the marshes are like where they typically hunt bit I will deffinatley ask around as to what the areas are like in the way of the bottom of the marsh or body of water they hunt.

I built a small boat from plans I got on the web. Its called a one sheet skiff. Very light so it's easy to pack. Mounted a set of oarlocks on it and it works great.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/.../oss/index.htm
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Have hunted many days without a dog and taken many limits, a small boat helps, a fishing rod is useless too much to get snagged on, waders are great for shallow areas. It can all be done without a dog but the level of effort required is significantly more. I just got a dog to prevent me walking kilometers in heavy neoprene waders for a few teal.

Stick to small water not too deep waders and fishing rod works or hunt fields

limits where you can hunt

Once you'v hunted over a dog you'll wonder how you ever did it before, it's so enjoyable to watch a well trained dog retrieve dead or wounded ducks that more than likely that you would have never found, I'm talking about birds that you know you hit but keep going for 100- 200 yards before going down.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Once you'v hunted over a dog you'll wonder how you ever did it before, it's so enjoyable to watch a well trained dog retrieve dead or wounded ducks that more than likely that you would have never found, I'm talking about birds that you know you hit but keep going for 100- 200 yards before going down.

A dog opens up many options but some people their life just won't allow a dog or they are just trying out waterfowl for their first season. Then take myself I am making due well training a new pup because my old one passed

Dogs involve time, commitment, and responsibility that some can't provide

Awesome for waterfowl no doubt but some hunters need to make due without

Quote Originally Posted by swamper View Post
    I built a small boat from plans I got on the web. Its called a one sheet skiff. Very light so it's easy to pack. Mounted a set of oarlocks on it and it works great.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/.../oss/index.htm
    That looks awesome and not very difficult to build.

I would love a dog but due to work schedule and just starting out I figured best give the sport a try first and make sure I have time to train a dog.