Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting without a dog

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Hunting without a dog

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    I was wondering about the steel and lead. Maybe it's time I go shopping for a 12g anybody recommend a decent shotgun around 500 to 700 bucks or cheaper?
    I have an older Remmington 1100 3" full choke that I also was concerned about.
    I took it to a gunsmith who evaluated it, measured the choke part of the barrel, and then
    bored it out, cutting the choke amount in half. I tested it's pattern and can say that the
    fellow certainly knows his business. It handles any 3'' steel shot very well, including having
    a very good pattern and better range then I expected. If you can find a gunsmith, maybe that's
    an option. It cost me just under $100 although most of the big shops quoted me around $150.

Good idea I will check with a gunsmith and see what he has to say. Might save me a few dollars

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    I was wondering about the steel and lead. Maybe it's time I go shopping for a 12g anybody recommend a decent shotgun around 500 to 700 bucks or cheaper?
    Browning BPS

It's not only the retrieval of dead birds that's an issue, chasing down cripples is pretty tough without a dog. Unless you are an expert shot, you are definately going to wound a bird here and there and chasing it, hell even finding it to chase can be difficult without a dog.

I would suggest joining a local club and making friends with someone who has a dog. I don't mind taking out dogless friends sometimes as it gives my dog extra work.
    Just make sure you treat their dog like a person when it comes to shooting near them....nothing ends a hunt faster for me than someone who shoots too close to my dog.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Sasquatch I totally understand what you are saying about treating a dog like a person. I love and respect dogs. I grew up with dogs my parents have 4 dogs yes 4 dogs..lol ..my kids love going over to gramma and grandpa's house to see the dogs. I'm deffinatley going to take the fellow who works at Cabelas up on his offer to take me out with him and his friends to show me the ropes on waterfowl hunting.
    Thank you for the advice.

I hunt fields or shallow water.

[QUOTE=MichelD;1953529]I hunt fields or shallow
    I'm not sure where I would even start to look for ducks other than Nanaimo estuary or get permission to hunt on a farmer's field.