Thread: Whitetail buck hits the snow (photo evidence)

Threaded View

Whitetail buck hits the snow (photo evidence)

Hey guys.

Just returned early from a planned 4 day backpack hunt for one of those cagey old ******* mule deer. I was heading to private land in region 3. My wife is 8 months pregnant with our first due mid december so this trip was supposed to be my last for the season. After today i think i might sneak away once more.

I left home at 8am today after a bit of a sleep in. At about 11am I arrived at the gate of the property id be hunting. The place was covered in 8 inches of snow and looked beautiful. I couldnt wait to start exploring. Then i noticed about 500 yards away a deer. Woohoo i think. Good sign. Closer inspection its a buck. A whitetail buck aswell. I didnt even consider whitetail hunting on this property until today.

I quickly check the regulations on WT and im good. I grabbed the 30.06 and decided it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I followed that bucks tracks for a mile through the timber. At this point i havn't changed into my hunting gear. Im bombing after this guy in jeans and half laced boots. I dont even have my binos on me.

Eventually his tracks evade me and im a good hike from the truck. The property runs north south with a large open meadow in the middle and an access road runs up the middle. I decide to head east the pick up the road and hike back to the truck.

Once i hit the trail i cant help but scoure the other side of the meadow. That snow just makes everything pop so bright. I can see an animal moving through the timber. A long way away. No binos i had to use the scope (not a good practice). It was a different WT buck. I had no cover at all and he was across the open field. I tried to move closer but he busted me immediately. I really had no idea how to close the distance. I thought as long as he isnt scared he shouldnt run so i very calmly and slowly began walking down the road towards some mounds in the snow that would provide cover and maybe a shooting rest. He watched me like a hawk. I didnt stop to inspect him. I just stayed calm and not threatening.

Once i arrived at the cover the deer had moved. I figured it was all over. Then i spotted him. He was grazing. Totally cool with his environment. I laid prone behind my little knoll. He was broadside but moving. I wasnt comfortable with that shot at 400yards so i gave him the old "eerrrrrpp"noise and he stopped dead in his tracks. Kabooom!

That deer hit the ground before i even pulled the trigger. I could not believe how hard and instantly he dropped.

So first i go inspect the deer. It's a beauty. Then i go grab the truck for some mechanical advantage. A welcome change after hiking a mule deer and a black bear out of the back 40 this season.

Region 3 whitetail https://imgur.com/a/dqZHX

Thanks for reading. Hopefully not too long winded or boring

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Chrispryn; 11-11-2017 at 08:32 AM.

2. Site Sponsor