Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail buck hits the snow (photo evidence)

Hybrid View

Whitetail buck hits the snow (photo evidence)

Hey guys.

Just returned early from a planned 4 day backpack hunt for one of those cagey old ******* mule deer. I was heading to private land in region 3. My wife is 8 months pregnant with our first due mid december so this trip was supposed to be my last for the season. After today i think i might sneak away once more.

I left home at 8am today after a bit of a sleep in. At about 11am I arrived at the gate of the property id be hunting. The place was covered in 8 inches of snow and looked beautiful. I couldnt wait to start exploring. Then i noticed about 500 yards away a deer. Woohoo i think. Good sign. Closer inspection its a buck. A whitetail buck aswell. I didnt even consider whitetail hunting on this property until today.

I quickly check the regulations on WT and im good. I grabbed the 30.06 and decided it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I followed that bucks tracks for a mile through the timber. At this point i havn't changed into my hunting gear. Im bombing after this guy in jeans and half laced boots. I dont even have my binos on me.

Eventually his tracks evade me and im a good hike from the truck. The property runs north south with a large open meadow in the middle and an access road runs up the middle. I decide to head east the pick up the road and hike back to the truck.

Once i hit the trail i cant help but scoure the other side of the meadow. That snow just makes everything pop so bright. I can see an animal moving through the timber. A long way away. No binos i had to use the scope (not a good practice). It was a different WT buck. I had no cover at all and he was across the open field. I tried to move closer but he busted me immediately. I really had no idea how to close the distance. I thought as long as he isnt scared he shouldnt run so i very calmly and slowly began walking down the road towards some mounds in the snow that would provide cover and maybe a shooting rest. He watched me like a hawk. I didnt stop to inspect him. I just stayed calm and not threatening.

Once i arrived at the cover the deer had moved. I figured it was all over. Then i spotted him. He was grazing. Totally cool with his environment. I laid prone behind my little knoll. He was broadside but moving. I wasnt comfortable with that shot at 400yards so i gave him the old "eerrrrrpp"noise and he stopped dead in his tracks. Kabooom!

That deer hit the ground before i even pulled the trigger. I could not believe how hard and instantly he dropped.

So first i go inspect the deer. It's a beauty. Then i go grab the truck for some mechanical advantage. A welcome change after hiking a mule deer and a black bear out of the back 40 this season.

Region 3 whitetail https://imgur.com/a/dqZHX

Thanks for reading. Hopefully not too long winded or boring

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Chrispryn; 11-11-2017 at 08:32 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail buck hits the snow (photo evidence)

Beauty buck, congrats!!
    Live to Hunt...

Very nice!!

Great buck way to go
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Beauty congrats! Good job keeping your cool..

Nicely done, I hope my daughter and I are as lucky tomorrow.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Nicely done, I hope my daughter and I are as lucky tomorrow.
    Where you heading mate?

Not bad at all. Congrats.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Pretty cool !!!! Hell of a nice whitey !!!!

Sweet! Why didn't you hang it, and keep on hunting?
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.