Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This past weekend report --- glad I am hauling my camera along at least

This past weekend report --- glad I am hauling my camera along at least

First off -- Not going to pinpoint anything other than region 3. Most people can't hunt the elk, but others have traditional opportunities that the internet is not part of, so not outing these elk. Shot with a Canon 5d mark iii and with a 400mm [with 1.4 extender, effectively a 560mm].

Anyway, Felt like I got closer to zeroing in on a LEH Moose, but still only found their prints. At least I know I have pinpointed the right area and not sure if they are cows or bulls -- but 6 different sets over my hunt area. They are in some steep terrain that is beyond what my damaged knee can take, so trying to figure a way to get up into that area easier. Unfortunately the snow is accumulating and even if I got it, packing out might be a bigger issue.

My hope is the upcoming storms will push them down more often and I have an idea on their trail(s).

While skirting the river willows, thought I had found my quarry. But as I raised the binoculars I could already tell it was an elk. Scanned further and spied about 12 in the willows. Quickly grabbed the camera and sharted shooting, after about 5 minutes they decided they didn't like the sound of the shutter and slowly faded off into the depth of the willows, silent like a ghost in the mist.

I continued further up the valley and glassed back down stream, low and behold, they were out in a defensive formation on a snow dusted river bar. Out came the camera and I started snapping away. Kind of hoped a wolf pack would have surrounded them for some awesome photos. Of course, would have gladly assisted the elk after a few photos.

Did see a small 2x2 WT buck out at 325 yards. Didn't feel like 80 pounds of meat was enough to justify putting him down. I want his daddy and OMG, the tracks were nuclear . . . I have marked all of the trails on my hunt app, so know where to look next year if I can't get back out.

Had 3 trail cameras that were almost taken by unethical people, but the determent that was implemented worked [nope not saying what] . . . They appeared to be ok afterwards

Yesterday, the big Bull elk was spotted 1/2 way down the steep cut that I had been monitoring for Moose. He saw us and first flipped around and started to head up, then realized #$*&$# no, gravity is slowing me down. He flipped and tore down the hill as I headed towards what the exit point onto the road looked to be, with camera locked and loaded. Man he was hauling ass kicking up dirt and snow.

Was able to get out of the valley, but it was touch and go for about 5 klicks at the summit. Not sure I will be able to get back before the end of the LEH.

Enjoy, VFX

2. Site Sponsor

Re: This past weekend report --- glad I am hauling my camera along at least

Nice! I hope the weather doesn't stop you, and your hard work pays off.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Beautiful photos!

Nice Pictures... I suspect you had the same draw I did last month. Saw 3 cow elk and two separate bulls bugling at each other near the river. Left my big camera at home as I don't care to lug the long lens around and it interferes with my hunting when I get carried away. Didn't get my moose either, although I did see a cow.

Beautiful pictures. That sounds like one expensive lens. What are your goto settings for wildlife? I find I have to increase shutter speed quite a bit with my 300mm lens but with a cheap lens and limited aperture it sometimes results in some higher ISO than I'd like.

Doesn't look like it's anywhere close to 3-19 but if it is pm me I saw 3 bull moose on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Beautiful pictures. That sounds like one expensive lens. What are your goto settings for wildlife? I find I have to increase shutter speed quite a bit with my 300mm lens but with a cheap lens and limited aperture it sometimes results in some higher ISO than I'd like.

Doesn't look like it's anywhere close to 3-19 but if it is pm me I saw 3 bull moose on Saturday.
    Thanks everyone. Was nice to at least get some photos.

As to lens, it's a Canon 100-400mm L series lens. Yep about 2k for it, but I use it a lot for work and has been worth every penny. These all go into my image bank that I hope to do something with when I retire.

Cheer, VFX

Stunning photos, especially by the river!
    KCCO

Beauty shot!
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

That first photo is magazine cover material. The contrast of the near B&W background and the elk is captivating. Great shot.