Thread: Christian Valley Whitetail November HELP

Christian Valley Whitetail November HELP

Hey all was wondering if anyone could provide me information / tips/ advice on hunting whitetail in Christian valley during November. This will be my first time ever hunting whitetail. I will be taking my youth son up cause he can shoot a whitetail doe and will try my chance for a buck. Advice on weather conditions, hunting techniques, areas, and reccomendations will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Christian Valley Whitetail November HELP

Weather has set up nicely and you will likely see a flush of deer have moved into that mid-low elevation country.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Going on that hunt never hunting wt it's going to be different for you. A wt doe for your son you may get lucky and get one with general deer tactics. In my opinion the buck you need to focus on wt tactics if you want one. Depending on your son it maybe harder to sit. A blind and heater would be my recommendation keep him comfortable and hide his movements if he has a hard time sitting still

For someone who has never hunted there my advice is stay low not far off the river. There is a year round population and the snow can increase the numbers. Thick bush with lots of sign and expect close shots. If you can only see 50 yards or less good. Don't set up on cuts most wt are only visiting these in the dark. Bring rattling antlers and doe bleat

If you go about this hunt thinking of habitat you would hunt for mule deer your sightings and success will drop. I have crossed paths with many hunters who make this mistake in this area. They keep seeing mule deer wondering why they see little to no wt

pull in at lost horse fsr.cross the bridge.drive past the road that runs parallel to river and goes to thone lake. go up the hill. at crest of hill go thru ditch and park in clearing. that will give you access to old trails to ridge and game trails that parallel road. ive taken a few deer out of there in past. alternatly follow road to thone lake, at a sharp right hand corner theres a trail that goes in and parallels the rivver and passes a trappers cabin. used to be pretty good and quiet there when pressure was high with road hunters. It involves walking though. Dont mind giving specifics as i no longer hunt. Its a free country and province is open to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by chromer View Post
    pull in at lost horse fsr.cross the bridge.drive past the road that runs parallel to river and goes to thone lake. go up the hill. at crest of hill go thru ditch and park in clearing. that will give you access to old trails to ridge and game trails that parallel road. ive taken a few deer out of there in past. alternatly follow road to thone lake, at a sharp right hand corner theres a trail that goes in and parallels the rivver and passes a trappers cabin. used to be pretty good and quiet there when pressure was high with road hunters. It involves walking though. Dont mind giving specifics as i no longer hunt. Its a free country and province is open to everyone

what an awesome first post!

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

The last two weeks of the season. Find a spot where the deer are moving, sit and wait, dress warm

Quote Originally Posted by chromer View Post
    Solid advice I have taken 3 deer out of this area myself. Not as good as it once was but still a spot worth checking

Bring a buck grunt call. If you bump a deer hit the call quick. They are curious and will almost always stop
    BCWF
    VIPDC

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. My kids and nephew ended up tagging out on WT does in 3 days and I almost got a shot at a big buck myself. The bigger doe was shot on Osborne FSR while walking an atv trail and the other 2 were shot on Losthorse were we waited on a heavily trafficked deer trail. Unfortunately I couldn’t connect with the buck as he took off before I got a shot. Needless to say we were extremely lucky this trip. The snow helped as well as all the advice.

Congrats.Sounds like a good family hunt. Thanks for the update.