Thread: Take down arrows

Take down arrows

Did a search on HBC for this but nothing came up. Question: Has anyone made take down arrows (cut arrow in half with insert screws to make as one again) ... Back packing is part of my hunt so just wondering about this. Thanks... (I shoot a 40lb recurve)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Take down arrows

It was done about 30 or more years ago with aluminum shafts. I remember them being discussed in one of the archery magazines. Doubt that the resulting arrows were as straight as a one piece shaft.....the joint probably affects the spine as well. No thanks, whether carbon, aluminum or wood shafts.

It ruins your required FOC . Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Put the joint forward instead of in the middle? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spine would be affected but would be consistent so usable?
    A simple light slip joint that would stay together in flight but may not tolerate the pull backwards from a target or body

t-d recurve plus t-d arrows.........? never scene that on a ninja movie
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

An option to consider and just to remove the broadheads and put the arrow shafts into a section of pvc pipe with threaded caps on the end. Strap the pvc tube to your back and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    An option to consider and just to remove the broadheads and put the arrow shafts into a section of pvc pipe with threaded caps on the end. Strap the pvc tube to your back and your good to go.
    ... very interesting... thanks for that

Carbon arrows are really tough. I just use a couple of heavy rubber bands to hold 4 together (minus broadheads as suggested above) and carry them vertically on the pack under a couple of existing straps, Take the rubber bands off in camp as the vanes are likely deformed but come right back. Since you shoot a recurve, you likely shoot feathers, so the tube option is your best bet to protect the feathers. Good luck!

I made a bunch up from Easton XX75 arrows. Made the arrows the correct length, etc., screwed in the broad-heads, and found the weight center of the arrows and cut them there. I glued inserts into both halves and used proper, long, brass screw, with head cut off, to join them. I just wrapped tape around the screw to make the fit tight. Out of my 60 lb. take-down recurve they fly fine. Was going to use them on a cougar once but decided to pass on the small tom. Still have them and shoot them once in a while and they are fine. What i did do was mark all of the arrow halves so that they would always be mated with the originals. Bow and arrows all fit in or on my fanny pack.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    I made a bunch up from Easton XX75 arrows. Made the arrows the correct length, etc., screwed in the broad-heads, and found the weight center of the arrows and cut them there. I glued inserts into both halves and used proper, long, brass screw, with head cut off, to join them. I just wrapped tape around the screw to make the fit tight. Out of my 60 lb. take-down recurve they fly fine. Was going to use them on a cougar once but decided to pass on the small tom. Still have them and shoot them once in a while and they are fine. What i did do was mark all of the arrow halves so that they would always be mated with the originals. Bow and arrows all fit in or on my fanny pack.
    I will definitely give that a try... . thanks... any chance posting a vid of shooting one?

I've seen a few archers take the broadheads off, put them in a case, and put the arrow shafts into the hole where your hydration bladder tube comes out on your pack. Keeps the nocks and fletching from getting squished, and it's a good method if you're wight conscious. Only downside is that you lose the use of your bladder.