Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable Older Pump/Semi that will handle steel?

Re: Affordable Older Pump/Semi that will handle steel?

I bought a 1957 Wingmaster at a gun show and had it opened up to Modified and shot it quite a bit before getting an 870 Express with 3-inch capability and tubes.

Also have a 1964 Browning A5 in 2 3/4-inch with a modified barrel. I shoot steel in it no problem.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Thx CT - PM sent...

So for $60, any older gun can be worked to take steel? Like a Wingmaster or M37 etc... Do they just ream the barrel out to a modified choke or IC? I'd be shooting over decoys at 40 yards or so with the odd passing shot for fly by's that aren't out of range.
    Yes, I have one from the fifties that was shot so much hardly needed to be honed. Lol. ...... The other the 1980, was like never used ...... So glad ER done to avoid bulging the barrel.

Both th drop ducks and geese like no tomorrow ......

I build most of my waterfowl guns from 3" semis, I like to have the choke done to Improved Modified. Rework the forcing cone and I'm good to go. To say Any gun can be reworked to shoot steel is a bit of an overstatement, you have to consider how thin the barrel wall is to mention one thing,
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I build most of my waterfowl guns from 3" semis, I like to have the choke done to Improved Modified. Rework the forcing cone and I'm good to go. To say Any gun can be reworked to shoot steel is a bit of an overstatement, you have to consider how thin the barrel wall is to mention one thing,
    Thx! What are a few make/models that you would consider for this?

I am just getting into waterfowl hunting this fall and have had some success this past weekend with a borrowed 870 Super Mag. The Remington has really weak ejection and jams more often than not - the spent shell fails to clear and gets trapped on the charging stroke. Now that I have a dozen Mallard decoys and some time on the call, I have been getting birds to decoy close enough… but this pump might as well be a single!

I am shopping for my own 12GA now – trying to be really conservative until next tax return when I’ll get a nice semi. In the meantime, are there any affordable older pumps or semi’s that will shoot steel? I like the Browning BPS and Ithaca 37 as well as the Remington 1100 but don’t know if they require leaded fuel only. Are there any good options under $500 or so?
    Find an old Wingmaster that's in good condition, and never look back.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Buy a brand new maverick 88. At cabelas for $300
    Gor a cheap gun its hard to go wrong with, bought mine with a 28" and 18" barrel for $280 5 or 6 years ago, its killed a lot of birds and shot a lot of targets and Ive had no issues, it's the type of gun you can just toss in the back of the truck and not worry about it getting beat up.

Thx! What are a few make/models that you would consider for this?
    I have had good luck with the following. Browning A5, Remington 1100 or Mod. 58, Winchester Mod 50 or 59 or SX1. I start with a 3" model, 28 or preferably 30/32" barrel, most of which are full choke, I have the choke opened up to IM or mod. and have the forcing cone lengthened and Bob's your uncle.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Buy a Benelli Nova or Super Nova, keep it maintained and it will serve your grandchild. Ugly, yep, but, work like dambusters.
    I took this advice and bought a Nova. So far its been awesome and has never jammed, even with a variety of cheap target ammo shooting clays.