Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Older Pump/Semi that will handle steel?

Affordable Older Pump/Semi that will handle steel?

I am just getting into waterfowl hunting this fall and have had some success this past weekend with a borrowed 870 Super Mag. The Remington has really weak ejection and jams more often than not - the spent shell fails to clear and gets trapped on the charging stroke. Now that I have a dozen Mallard decoys and some time on the call, I have been getting birds to decoy close enough… but this pump might as well be a single!

I am shopping for my own 12GA now – trying to be really conservative until next tax return when I’ll get a nice semi. In the meantime, are there any affordable older pumps or semi’s that will shoot steel? I like the Browning BPS and Ithaca 37 as well as the Remington 1100 but don’t know if they require leaded fuel only. Are there any good options under $500 or so?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Affordable Older Pump/Semi that will handle steel?

Buy a brand new maverick 88. At cabelas for $300
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Buy a Benelli Nova or Super Nova, keep it maintained and it will serve your grandchild. Ugly, yep, but, work like dambusters.

I agree with Bighornbob. Basic pump shotgun that works great. And if you want spend a little extra you can get the Maverick 88 as a combo with a regular barrel that takes different chokes as well as a defender barrel. And it shoots 3" shells as opposed to some of the older guns that only shoot 2 3/4". JMHO
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

guest Guest

Why not a used decent affordable gun..... You say until,Tax return. Why waste $$.

But out if shooting steel, any with full choke needs to be modified, for about 60 bucks.

with an 870 Wingmaster, some that are not used to it don't pump back fully or firm enough, causing a jam. You need to slam it back full. This happens to some when shooting and pumping straight up.

The 870 Wingmaster ..... Older ones, is one of the most reliable, best pump on the market. May be the operators issue rather then the gun itself. Or it may just need a good cleaning.

All the best to you.
    Last edited by guest; 11-07-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Buy a Benelli Nova or Super Nova, keep it maintained and it will serve your grandchild. Ugly, yep, but, work like dambusters.
    That would be my advise as well!

I agree with Curly, it sounds like you're short stroking it. Make sure it's clean and well lubed then try it again and really concentrate on slamming it all the way back! K

Thx CT - PM sent...

So for $60, any older gun can be worked to take steel? Like a Wingmaster or M37 etc... Do they just ream the barrel out to a modified choke or IC? I'd be shooting over decoys at 40 yards or so with the odd passing shot for fly by's that aren't out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I agree with Curly, it sounds like you're short stroking it. Make sure it's clean and well lubed then try it again and really concentrate on slamming it all the way back! K
    Cleaned well and lubed up nicely... slamming the heck out of it... next to new gun - maybe 10 shells through it when I borrowed it...

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Cleaned well and lubed up nicely... slamming the heck out of it... next to new gun - maybe 10 shells through it when I borrowed it...
    If it's a newer one, it could have a rough chamber. Remington has had some issues on the newer production stuff. If you're looking for a $500 shotguns, check out Reliable, they have a huge selection of new and used inventory available on their website and/or in-store.

Warren