Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Success, Finally

Re: Success, Finally

Nice looking buck! Admire the rack while enjoying your steaks!
    Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Good story of a good hunt, love those snow days, attago

......As soon as they disappeared into a small ravine I headed as quickly as I could up towards where I thought they might come out, I was wrong. As I'm picking apart the hillside where I thought they should be I just happen to glance up and to my right and there they are all grouped together staring down at me...............
    been there=priceless
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Congrats. Btw you wrote a really good story and then when WF posted your pics it made it all come together. Msg to site owners.... Can you look into easier ways for folks to post pics???

Awesome buck!! Way to go

Great buck JT! That must have felt good.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Great buck JT! Congrats!

thats a good looking buck... congrats again.

My 14 year old daughter and I headed back into the area for the last day of mule deer to see if another buck had taken over the harem, had a good day spotted 8 or so deer. Two of them were bucks just not legal 4-points. We got to within 20ft or so of a group of does and fawns, my girl thought it was pretty exciting just being so close to wildlife. The elk were really making some noise early on, I've heard more bugling in November then I did through Sept/Oct combined. Sure wish the elk season went into November, I'd love to hunt them in the snow and when temperatures are cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    Terrific buck; congrats.

I love the fact you took him early in the month. I hear so many guys not giving it all they have or not even going out yet because it's not "peak rut" yet, lol! Peak rut may be the peak, but the rut itself stretches from late Oct to mid Dec, and any time therein there is a chance to see great bucks like yours. Just gotta get out there like you did. Good job.
    I hunt mule deer in the alpine starting right at the beginning of the season, bucks can be found quite high. My partner and I usually head into one of many alpine lakes in the area that we know has cutthroat and spend a few days fishing and hiking the high ridges glassing bowls. It's awesome just not particularly successful as far as shooting a mule deer. We always catch fish and my buddy often elects to pack a shotgun so we can shoot blue grouse/ruffies. We eat like kings, cutthroat stuffed with huckleberries and garlic with a starter of grouse kebabs that have been marinated in spices and scotch.

I don't wait until the rut to hunt mule deer, I prefer the taste of them before they get all rutted up. Besides the season ends here on November 10th, it's not like I can wait until later, I got that deer on the last Saturday of the season.

Great story and awesome buck!!
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.