Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First solo deer

Re: First solo deer

With all due respect how is dragging a gutted deer on the ground through all kinds of things including animal scat cleaner than cutting it up, bagging in clean pillowcases or gamebags and carrying it out above ground?

Use the instructions in my signature to upload pic. Hope it helps. Cheers.

Looks like a very nice deer!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Nice thick antlers. I'd shoot him. Good job man. Thats a nice BT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzie View Post
    Might have to worry about the wife when she see's what you've done to her sheets though. lol
    You just slip it back on the bed when she's out, tell her you had an afternoon nap, and that somehow you got a nose bleed. Easy peasy!

Carrying in a small bed sheet like that was one of the smartest things I learned to do a few years back. It's light and is a great place to lay the meat down before bagging it into reusable hind quarter bags.

That buck is an old warrior,congratulations.

Very nice for a first deer, congrats..

Great buck and congrats on a solo hunt. I almost never hunt with anyone , haven`t for years. No hassle about which way to go or where to hunt. AND, you don`t have to split the meat! Lots of work though but I just gut `em and stick `em on a cheap plastic tarp and they slide pretty good, keeps the clean too. I have a 1500 pound winch bolted to my work bench in my garage and a set of gambrels so I hook him up and away we go. I use a cable jack in the back of my rig for loading but I`m putting another 1500 in the back for next year. Spare battery ,makes the job way easier.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Congrats '77 that is a cool old buck you've done well to out smart that ol boy.

Yeah I'm like sawmill usually hunt alone. So defacto my first buck was also my first solo buck. And the second and probably third. This year I've hunted with a good buddy quite a bit having moved so that we're reasonably close, he's in the n Okanagan its handy to meet in the middle ground. I will admit it was nice to have two guys for a short down hill drag and a level pull into the truck by backing it into a hollow last week. Easy peasy. But there's definitely advantages to hunting alone imo even though its a bit more work.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

nice deer congrats

Nice BT buck way back in the day when I lived on the island I would make a back pack out of the deer by cutting a slice in the back hock and poking the front legs through that cut and then breaking the front leg so that the front legs would not come back out.
    Then I would hoist it on my back with each of the front legs over my shoulders, it worked well then, now that I am old and fat, I would use the gutless method