Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First solo deer

First solo deer

Took my first solo deer this morning. Nice black tail 4x2 was awsome to take that off the bucket list. Then I came back to reality and realized I had a 5 hrs drag back to the truck. Half way there I swore I would never do it again. Now I can't wait for the next one. Good luck out there everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First solo deer

Sorry I can't post pics here.

Right on!! Thick timber or open cuts?

congrats! you need to learn to bone and pack the meat out! much easier...

Congrats. Your first solo deer is a big deal. I went through the same thing you did and dragged a BT downhill whole for five hours. You learn pretty quick to bone out a deer or use a cart if possible. Good job. Hope you can post a pic.

Great job. Likely somebody can help you post pictures. Good on ya, congrats
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Congrats. Your first solo deer is a big deal. I went through the same thing you did and dragged a BT downhill whole for five hours. You learn pretty quick to bone out a deer or use a cart if possible. Good job. Hope you can post a pic.
    X2. Why drag things like bone and hide that you'll throw away anyway? Pack frames can be had very cheaply from Cabelas. Maybe a bit over $100. All you need are a couple large pillowcases to put the meat into and that's it. No need to haul bones and hide in addition to the meat.

Having said that, congrats on the blacktail. Thats excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    congrats! you need to learn to bone and pack the meat out! much easier...
    Or at least quarter it up, bone in, after doing the gutless method on him. Had this buck out of the bush in less than an hour using my trekking poles. I hate to think how long dragging it out would have taken.

IMG_0687 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

And then you don't have to worry about the carcass or the hide afterwards. BTW,,,,congrats on your deer and the hard work you put into getting him out of the bush! Those are the ones you remember forever.

I know how to break down the deer I do all my own butche ring. I don't have a pack frame and like to leave the hide on to keep the meat clean. It was a good walk and a personal challenge.

Might have to worry about the wife when she see's what you've done to her sheets though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Or at least quarter it up, bone in, after doing the gutless method on him. Had this buck out of the bush in less than an hour using my trekking poles. I hate to think how long dragging it out would have taken.

IMG_0687 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

And then you don't have to worry about the carcass or the hide afterwards. BTW,,,,congrats on your deer and the hard work you put into getting him out of the bush! Those are the ones you remember forever.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon