Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all 2017 fall leh Bison hunters.

To all 2017 fall leh Bison hunters.

How did you do? Your experience in the beautiful Pink Mountain area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: To all 2017 fall leh Bison hunters.

It's been a pretty tough year, many guys have come back empty handed without seeing any bison.

Last year we saw 8 or so bison at the top of the mountain. We hiked,quadded and spotted. Never took a day off the entire bison season,hunted our butts off. Only saw 2 moose as well!

Saw lots of elk but nothing legal. Saw a few wolves but they’re faster than me saw a couple of moose also. One of the guys ran into a couple griz, and saw some goats when he was way back. We managed to get one small bison after one of the boys finally found fresh tracks. We followed the remaining tracks the next morning, caught up with the bison around two in the afternoon but got busted before we could get a shot. Then they lined out and didn’t slow down for a long time. We chickened out and bailed when that big snow storm hit, we had a couple days left, but didn’t want to break camp and get out with over a foot of snow on the ground.
    I keep hearing that hunting bison is like shooting cows, doesn’t seem that way to me. Climbing, glassing, hiking, riding and not seeing a track for over a week, it’s tough hunting.but it’s awesome country.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

They have their hidey holes.... You just need to know where to look.... Zone B I know, Zone A Pink Mountain not so much
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Never hunted zone b but I hear it's a better bet. Definitely a far cry from "we parted the heard as we drove in through the airport" lol ! Now you shoot the first bison you see. I am still very intrigued with bison and the pink mountain area but the ungulates numbers are really hurting. Glad to hear you got one.

We have drawn the 1st and 2nd hunts of the year in Zone A 2 and 3 years ago. 1st year we got a 20 - 30 second chance at a small herd just off an atv path. Before we could figure out what they were they were gone. Rookie mistake... but did not want to shoot something we could identify. Didn't see a thing after that. 2nd year we paid the toll at the Pink Mountain Ranch and rented a cabin. It took 10 days but we found a herd of roughly 30. Shot our animal, it went down and the herd didn't budge a bit. We found a way to move so they would catch our wind and that sent them moving. That large herd was no where to be found when there were atv ripping around the week before. The area didn't have any traffic for 2 days when we came in quietly.

We were lucky enough to draw 2 for the last hunt of the season this January. Going to be quite different from the last 2 October hunts where we saw almost 20 degrees on a few days.

Good luck up there!

was a few years ago, one of the first january hunts...we struck out
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    We have drawn the 1st and 2nd hunts of the year in Zone A 2 and 3 years ago. 1st year we got a 20 - 30 second chance at a small herd just off an atv path. Before we could figure out what they were they were gone. Rookie mistake... but did not want to shoot something we could identify. Didn't see a thing after that. 2nd year we paid the toll at the Pink Mountain Ranch and rented a cabin. It took 10 days but we found a herd of roughly 30. Shot our animal, it went down and the herd didn't budge a bit. We found a way to move so they would catch our wind and that sent them moving. That large herd was no where to be found when there were atv ripping around the week before. The area didn't have any traffic for 2 days when we came in quietly.

We were lucky enough to draw 2 for the last hunt of the season this January. Going to be quite different from the last 2 October hunts where we saw almost 20 degrees on a few days.

Good luck up there!
    when I was there last 2 weeks of january a few years ago it was +12! no snow left. Animals were very wary, and way back in the timber. Good luck, I wouldn't put in for january again
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I found they were vary wary on our 1-15th October hunt. Actually... everything was. Found out why from the guy taking care of the ranch. I won't post it here because it'll hijack the thread. Anyway... after some persistence and being the last groups left we both got our animals on the same day near the end. Looking forward to the whole experience again and this time with my brother who is new to the sport.