Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Wolves around Region 3

Re: Wolves around Region 3

Based on what I saw, every drainage should have tracks in it. The main thing is to find fresh tracks with decent road access. There is 3+ feet of snow up top in some areas. Talk to locals about fsr conditions...
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    Based on what I saw, every drainage should have tracks in it. The main thing is to find fresh tracks with decent road access. There is 3+ feet of snow up top in some areas. Talk to locals about fsr conditions...
    So true, I can only imagine some areas right now are to deep to travel.
    However, if the snow is that deep, then all the game has probably dropped to lower elevations....below 1000m's.
    If so, then the wolves will be there too.....just look at hitting the roads that travel from the highways etc at low elevation up towards the main plateau.
    Too bad that the snow shows up so late now...it used to be that the snow levels could reach 3+ feet during November
    when deer hunting was still open, which would create some great hunting/sighting opportunities back then.
    Now days, that never happens till way after the season closes, and probably is a factor why people don't see the deer #'s the way the once did....they are just too spread out still in November.
    Anyways, chains and telling friends where you plan on going is always a good idea right now for sure.

Anyone hunt the triangle between Anderson Lk, Seton Lk and Duffey Lk this fall?
    Was talking to a member on here last night and apparently the wolves are pretty thick in there?

Curious if anyone hunts this part of reg 3 in the later season this year that has a wolf report?

HarryToolips - "
    Impressive, did you harvest the majority by baiting?? Finding fresh sign and howling?? "

I have tried baiting, but although I have had close calls, have not shot one yet over a bait that I put in place. When I shot up that pack, shooting 3 and missing the big one, was because I knew where the highways contractor was disposing of the road killed moose, and so I went and checked, frequently. A real fresh moose carcass was deposited in this place, and so I saw it in the AM, went home and then went back at about 3PM, thinking I would wait until dark, which was about 2 - 3 hours, it being January. When I was walking into where I was going to sit, I saw a wolf sitting keeping watch over the sight, while all his buddies were feeding on the moose. I got on my belly, and snuck up sideways away from the brushes that were between us, and when I saw one walk across the road I let him have it. The rest took off, including the one I had just shot, so I waited a bit, then started tracking it, fresh snow so no problem there. Anyway, it circled way around, like 2 km or so, and then started heading back to his buds.
    So he circled around back to an old road that was unserviceable, and it was getting dark, and so I figured I would head back to the truck, and pick up the trail in the morning.
    Last edited by Rupert Retired; 12-30-2017 at 11:04 AM.

So, I was heading back to the truck, and there was a frozen pond or small lake to my right, and I looked out, and sure enough, there was a big wolf standing in the middle of the frozen pond, looking at me!

I couldn't get prone, because I couldn't see him then, so I tried a kneeling shot. Bad choice! Hindsight being 20 / 20, I should have ran forward to the edge of the pond, flopped down prone, and shot the damn thing! Anyway, I didn't, and proceeded to miss him twice!

Then I had to reload, and did so, and meanwhile, the whole pack streamed onto the pond, following the big male who was running away, obviously!

So then I ran up to the edge of the pond, and was able go get prone, and had a choice of two nice wolves running beside each other, one black and one tawny colored.

I wanted the tawny colored one, and so I shot it, and it went about 15 yards or so and piled up.

By then, most of the wolves had left the scene, but I saw one black one across the lake (or pond) sneaking through the timber, and so I lined up and flattened that one! Luckily I hit him, because that was my last bullet that I had with me!

So I had three wolves from that hunt. I got the skins tanned and have them hanging in my room (man cave). So that is the story of 3 of my 10 wolves! Hope you liked the story!
    Last edited by Rupert Retired; 12-30-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 280 77 View Post
    Yes it is , there are wolves all over the north side of Kamloops . You won't have to go too far up.
    Perfect thanks. Time to go exploring.

Up at loon lake and dumping snow so access is limited, try again tomorrow
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Lots of snow in K town now! Just what the wolves like,can't wait to get out and hunt them. Have heard them howling in the hills behind pinatan lake