Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves around Region 3

Re: Wolves around Region 3

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    They will do that to escape predators, I have seen deer hang around working logging equipment while a cougar is circling around.
    Yup, the deer would rather taken chances being close to the 2 legged preds then those 4 footed ones.
    See that around Cache Creek the last several years now.
    Last year wasn't so bad for wolf sign, but the years before they were all over the place, howling just 500 m away
    from our camp for several mornings (I should have gone looking as the howling lasted for hours in one spot, but I was intent on finding deer, by the time I was getting close, the howling stopped)
    Hard to know where they will be this time, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are close by again.
    There only a few clicks from town at times, and there is no logging down low as of yet, and it's obvious the deer are avoiding the wolves up top (not enough snow to have brought them down, and lots of fresh logging up top).

I have an area loaded with does and this year driving in it i saw at least 4 doe kills and wolf tracks everywhere. In my 14 years hunting this area we have always had wolves but this year the packs are large. Region 3-29
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Hey steep -

We bumped into a large pack (8-10) at nightfall up on the bonaparte plateau a couple weekends ago. Big, healthy dogs. Not sure if you're trying to focus on the other direction towards the Arm but PM me if you're interested in a more detailed description!

Cheers

Exclamation Re: Wolves around Region 3

Thanks boys! Unfortunately, it sounds all too familiar...

I will be up there in a couple of weeks with family & would be happy to try to help out. My freezer is full, but I'm bringing my predator calls & long range rig! If anyone knows the area &/or wants to get out - PM me.

I believe that we all have to do our part helping with predator management in any way that we can. Support wildlife associations, help out trappers with bait, etc. &/or spend some time out there ourselves focused on protecting our wildlife resource. Those that don't help in some fashion, have no right to complain about it.

I have called in a few dogs over the years - they are super sharp & a fun challenge! Calling them in is similar to hunting bugling elk in the rut. It's a good excuse to GET OUT THERE in mountains in the winter...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-17-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    Thanks boys! Unfortunately, it sounds all too familiar...

I will be ~Salmon Arm in a couple of weeks with family & would be happy to try to help out. My freezer is full, but I'm bringing my predator calls & long range rig! If anyone knows the area &/or wants to get out - PM me.

I believe that we all have to do our part helping with predator management in any way that we can. Support wildlife associations, help out trappers with bait, etc. &/or spend some time out there ourselves focused on protecting our wildlife resource. Those that don't help in some fashion, have no right to complain about it.

I have called in a few dogs over the years - they are super sharp & a fun challenge! Calling them in is similar to hunting bugling elk in the rut. It's a good excuse to GET OUT THERE in mountains in the winter...
    pm sent

Yup, I'm gonna try this year a find them.....just need to get a half decent sled and them get out there!

Thanks for the intel boys! Please update with any sightings. I have a feeling this will be a scouting trip requiring ongoing effort... )

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    All over. Could be anywhere any day. They move many km a day. The deer are fine there's tons
    Wolves movement is not random. They have defined ranges & laps around often take 1 - 2 weeks depending on the prey that they encounter. If you know their approximate territory, recent location & general direction they can be located (especially with snow on the ground)... Here is some interesting research on their home ranges: https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v5-i1-c8.htm

At least 14 wolves have dispersed long distances away from Denali (Figure 7), and dozens more wolves dispersed shorter distances, within the study area or just outside of it. The longest documented dispersal was by a female wolf that left the Headquarters Pack and was shot by an Inupiat hunter near the Canning River, 40 miles from the Arctic Ocean and (in a straight line) 435 miles from Denali.
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Boston bar is polluted with wolves. Both sides of the Fraser. Seems deer on the west side have taken a beating

Twice now i have screwed up on what would be considered an easy opportunity. Lessons learned
    Last edited by TyTy; 11-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Seen tracks up near mile high resort last week . Looked to be 3 or 4 in 1 group walking down the road

That's interesting in that map where it says its under 3 wolves per 1000 km sq. Doesn't seem so bad.

I was hunting north of Red Lake this weekend and saw lots of cat and dog tracks. I hiked the same loop two days in a row and there were wolf tracks in my boot tracks from the day before. Didn't see a deer in that area but there were a few tracks.