Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves around Region 3

Wolves around Region 3

Anyone seen much recent wolf activity around Kamloops - Salmon Arm area? How are the deer doing there these days?

Definitely more & more showing up in the central Okanagan. Here's a lil track, where I'd never seen them before (size XL)...

I vividly remember bowhunting near the border 15+ years ago & seeing my first wolf face-to-face at ~70m. It is a cool experience to have their wildness as part of our ecosystem, but they are experts at what they do & would change hunting in an area for generations if their populations are not managed properly.

Since then, packs have swept up from the states north & westward, seriously affecting hunters & our wildlife populations. We all need to help any way that we can with predator management, which is a necessary component of wildlife conservation...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-22-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves around Region 3

All over. Could be anywhere any day. They move many km a day. The deer are fine there's tons

Wolves are thick around Salmon arm killing deer right near town and the surrounding towns nearby. They are where the game is and if the deer are hanging around populated area's it seems so are the wolves.

They are in the hill's by Heffley Creek. The deer seem to be staying closer to the house's.

Quote Originally Posted by bc8x8 View Post
    They are in the hill's by Heffley Creek. The deer seem to be staying closer to the house's.
    They will do that to escape predators, I have seen deer hang around working logging equipment while a cougar is circling around.

There are lots in 3-30, the boneparte plateau has some big *******s
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

lots of wolves in region 3 period. and 5.... etc

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Wolves are thick around Salmon arm killing deer right near town and the surrounding towns nearby. They are where the game is and if the deer are hanging around populated area's it seems so are the wolves.
    That's crazy! I've never heard of wolves near town. (But I'm from the Kootenays

A gutpile is good bait... If there are fresh tracks in the area, it would be worth checking out the next day...
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

I had a wide ravine that I called the "zoo" that was full of deer/moose every morning along the Heffley / Paul Lake ridge.

Up there one early spring - found multiple kill sites in the snow - the zoo was devote of life that fall.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    They will do that to escape predators, I have seen deer hang around working logging equipment while a cougar is circling around.
    Depending on whats being logged the deer will congregate around logging shows at this time of year to eat off the freshly falling trees, standing right there waiting for them to fall.
    there has been deer killed here by falling trees. Lots of people have figured this out as well and head there at the end of the day and weekends when there not falling to get a deer.