Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves around Region 3

Re: Wolves around Region 3

crazy howling... definitely an experience..
    Good on you to hunt them.

Steepndeep listened to your video have a few thoughts/ideas that may have helped if your in a situation like that again if interested send me a message.

Wolf tracks and blood trail around Turtle Corner (Lac Du Bois) - the tracks were fresh from Friday night. That is what, 15 - 20 minutes away from Town?

We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.

We heard them in the morning a hill or two over, so they had pulled back come sun up.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Wolf tracks and blood trail around Turtle Corner (Lac Du Bois) - the tracks were fresh from Friday night. That is what, 15 - 20 minutes away from Town?

We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.

We heard them in the morning a hill or two over, so they had pulled back come sun up.
    Yeah theyve been getting bad in that area the last two years. I know of a couple different guys takimg wolves out of that area in recent years.

Just over the hill from Turtle Corner and just above the N Thompson river is Inskip ranch. They have been loosing cattle to the wolves for the past two years.

We were wondering about the cattle, they were fenced only about 1/2 a km down.

In the general area, I had called in a couple bucks in years past. Didn't bother Saturday.

We did run into multiple does, but that was way up in the steep, steep rocky crap after a couple hour hike. They were not skittish at all. No deer down low, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    crazy how many were in our area alone!! One track was almost 5 inches wide and 6 long, never seen one that large and ive seen lots. We agreed to only shoot them if we see them.
    I hear you tomahawk. Sadly, Reg. 3 is infested. The only time that I saw wolves rifle hunting was opening day of elk & we were focussed on getting some meat. I saw a big black (too fast to get a bead on) driving into camp at 5k feet & my partners saw 2 in camp the day before. We got nothing but howls to respond to our bugles. Trapper got 25 in the valley that winter & said there were just as many left with more coming... Barely any elk tracks the next year. I gave up on that area.

If the same thing were to happen now, I would immediately switch to hunting wolves, before I left the area. With education, hopefully more guys will be prepared to do this, when it happens to them...

Quote Originally Posted by kelowna.jordan View Post
    steepNdeep, I'd be down for joining you sometime. PM me if/when you plan on going again
    Sure, but you have them in your back yard. Get some local boys together & get out there. Yotes are good practice... Youtube it ;

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Steepndeep listened to your video have a few thoughts/ideas that may have helped if your in a situation like that again if interested send me a message.
    Thanks for the ideas LBM!

Do wolves mark their territory? I saw this at the bottom of the cut, but it was by tire tracks & I thought it might have been a domestic. You can see the yotes had added to it, also...

Wolf tracks and blood trail... We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.
    Nice. Fresh snow is a hunters dream. I've learned a ton following predator & big buck tracks in the snow & do every chance I get!..
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 11-23-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

I dont hunt much but spend a fair bit of time in the bush fishing, camping, and exploring. Shoot the odd grouse once in a while but that's it so far. I've seen wolf sign a few times and would like to do my part if I ever see one.

What do I do with it once I shoot it though? Never skinned or gutted anything before. I guess I wouldn't mind maybe having a mount or hide of some kind, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap.

Hell I saw one going like hell crossing the road at padova city. Not as far out in the bush sometimes as most would think.

Quote Originally Posted by kagia View Post
    I dont hunt much but spend a fair bit of time in the bush fishing, camping, and exploring. Shoot the odd grouse once in a while but that's it so far. I've seen wolf sign a few times and would like to do my part if I ever see one.

What do I do with it once I shoot it though? Never skinned or gutted anything before. I guess I wouldn't mind maybe having a mount or hide of some kind, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap.
    You tube is your friend...if you have a good knife, and the carcass is still warm skinning is a lot easier..