Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to hunt wolves?

Re: How to hunt wolves?

I think finding wolves is all about time spent in the bush. Like stated, find the sign. Wolves have set territories and will usually follow a predictable circuit, travelling where easiest (roads, rivers, powerlines etc. ) If you find a spot with plenty of sign they will be back through there at some point.

The guys that are right serious about getting wolves hunt over bait piles, which take lots of work to establish and maintain. Good hunting!

Oh ya, better shoot well too because they dont stand around very long.

^
    I have never shot a standing wolf. Every one has been moving.

If you wait till they stop moving you'll never get a shot. (unless maybe over a bait)

I've shot 3 wolves and all of them were standing
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I whacked a Wolf that was coming out of the Timber into a clearcut. It was definitely hunting and covering ground quickly. It stopped for a second and I drilled it at about 160 yards. It was just right place at the right time.

Bait obviously works well if you got the time to maintain it and keep hitting it often to catch them once they find it.. shot 5 so far but have Been into them many times.
    1. Still hunting for white tails on a seismic line using buck snort, had one come into 15yds and popped it.
    2. Came across one chasing a deer on a fsr. 100yd shot and down.
    3. Was into a herd of elk and three came trotting down the block road I was on right at last light. Made whiney calf calls and popped the one at 80yds. Missed the other two as they were zigging and zagging away. Got the pack howling with howling by hand but wouldnt come back out.
    4. Bumped one crossing the road, followed it into the timber and howled by hand. Pack started howling all around me and one popped it’s head out 15yds away and popped it.
    5. Set up on a hill where I had seen tracks. Had a yote decoy and a fox pro with coy pup distress on and popped a big male 10yds from decoy. Had many others come out into the open with this setup but had them break outside my comfortable shooting distance or had them howl but not come out.

Have gotten answers many times howling by hand but problem with that is they know where call is coming from and often hang up howl a few times then slink away.

got several yotes and a lynx with fox pro with spinning tail. Cottontail distress, coy pup distress, and a female howl. Don’t stick around a setup for more than 30-40min generally. If wolves around I’ll stick around a bit longer.
    Last edited by junkyard_g; 11-04-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?