Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hunt wolves?

How to hunt wolves?

I am tagged out on deer and following some of your recommendations, I am considering predator hunting in region 8. Problem is, I have no experience. In fact, in all of my days hunting I have never seen a wolf in the wild.

Suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to hunt wolves?

bait if its legal is the best way

for starters you have to start seeing more wolves in the wild...
    haha
    I've been hunting for 20 years, and working in forestry for 15 and I only saw wolves for the first time from a helicopter this past February. They were standing in the middle of the log sort of all places. Hope fully lots of people give some info on this. Everyone seems to think shooting wolves is one of the answers to the declining ungulate populations so hopefully some of those people can give some insight on how to get your sights on some.

Subscribed.

find sign. No point hunting/calling where there's no wolf sign, or only old sign. A fresh snow is best, find their tracks. Trouble with wolves, fresh tracks doesn't mean they're close, they could be a few miles away. You can howl with your voice or with a electronic call, they may answer you. I've had success calling them in both with howling, and with prey distress sounds
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've had the most success by finding fresh track in fresh snow that follow a rd. When the tracks bail off the road kick the dog out and make it run behind the truck for a few miles. Dogs are great bait.
    Go down the road several miles and wait at least an hour before you head back into the dog scent on the rd. Be ready to jump out quick and shoot they won't stay on the rd long.

I've shot several wolves doing this. Doesn't work if other people are driving around tho. Cold Jan n Feb days are best.

Either that or finding fresh tracks on skiidoo in the big slashes and follow them as fast as you can. Be ready to stop and shoot at all times.
    I've also shot a few doing this.

Or use a dog scented drag lol...less chance of said dog being eaten lol....always wondered about soaking a sponge or something in deer blood and dragging that with in shooting range of a treestand or blind?

1. I would use electronic calls. Don't know really what they were coming into, but my little boy was playing around "calling" in moose and we had a pack come to the tree line to check us out.

2. look at paths through the bush they could use. Well treed, deactivated roads (narrow), or skidder paths. Something that give them some security to travel, not along open marshes or such, but in thick bush.

3. Something that is away from large clear cuts. Find that they then stay in the trees then

If you can find a spot that is high up, overlooking a path through the bush -- I would call from there and have your gun set up for a fast shot. Wolves don't do the slow wander - they are on the move and their travel paths are not usually wide. You have to be quick

Not an expert for sure - just my experience over the last couple of seasons.

My best time in the bush was a sunny afternoon spent skinning out a wolf

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Or use a dog scented drag lol...less chance of said dog being eaten lol....always wondered about soaking a sponge or something in deer blood and dragging that with in shooting range of a treestand or blind?
    Haha ya.
    I've been meaning to try dragging a rope with beaver caster on it down the rd but haven't had the chance yet.

Have heard the beaver caster is the ticket. Lipping smacking irrestable to them. I have had succes both howling and using electronic call. But you have to find the sign. The pack or sattelite pack . Gonna try some bait stations later this yr. Good luck.