Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chilliwack lake no shooting area.

Chilliwack lake no shooting area.

Looking over the regs and a map of Chilliwack valley and am confused by the no shooting rules. Does that mean no bow use? In the regs it says it's fine. but there are posters up all up and down Chilliwack lake Rd after the prison saying no shooting hunting use of bows crossbows. Are those legit signs or did some anti's put those up? Also am I allowed to walk through those areas with a rifle in hand to get to the mountains behind them where I'm 800 meters away from the road and legal?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chilliwack lake no shooting area.

The regs are one set of rules, if there is signage in the area it's likely there under some municipal regulations that won't be in the hunting regs.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I used to hunt out that way and that area is not part of a municipality so there are no municipal bylaws covering it. According to the regs its just a no shooting area so bows should be fine. I am a little suspicious about the posters, so if you're in doubt call the local CO's and see what they have to say. If they clear it for you then I would tell them about the posters and see if you can get them taken down. I would suspect somebody (an anti most likely) has taken a bit of misinformation based on the no shooting zone and blown it up to no hunting. And of course you can carry firearms through no shooting areas to get to legal spots behind them. If you really want to be above and beyond you can keep them unloaded unless you think there is some reason not to (ie fresh bear sign).

I was wondering this myself the other day...I googled "bench road no shooting". Clicked on the 4th link down, "[PDF] 178 April 5 2017 - BC Laws". If you go to page 4 and read the Appendix 2 at the bottom of the page it basically explains that a person is exempt from the no shooting bylaw if they are on a legal hunt.

Yea I saw those signs aswell....they hold no merrit and I am pretty sure they are all taken down now.....since the thread will get bumped ...anyone heard of anymore grizz or wolf sightings near the wack?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    ....since the thread will get bumped ...anyone heard of anymore grizz or wolf sightings near the wack?
    Haven't seen any grizz or wolf sign but heard there is a cougar prowling around the Rosedale and Popkum area. CO's have been notified.

Yea chilliwack valley is crawling with big kittys.....talked to one guy this season that was hunting by jones lake that heard wolfs howling away one night....im trying to stay on top and infromed of when the wolfs start showing up in the wack river valley....so far none that I have hear but seems like they may be closing in.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    Yea chilliwack valley is crawling with big kittys.....talked to one guy this season that was hunting by jones lake that heard wolfs howling away one night....im trying to stay on top and infromed of when the wolfs start showing up in the wack river valley....so far none that I have hear but seems like they may be closing in.
    Talked to the region 2 bio probably 6-7 years ago about wolves in the Skagit Jones area and he knew a fair bit about them they are no secret and been around for some time.

Samething with grizz no secret and been around sometime. Seen grizz in both skagit and chilliwack valleys myself

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Looking over the regs and a map of Chilliwack valley and am confused by the no shooting rules. Does that mean no bow use? In the regs it says it's fine. but there are posters up all up and down Chilliwack lake Rd after the prison saying no shooting hunting use of bows crossbows. Are those legit signs or did some anti's put those up? Also am I allowed to walk through those areas with a rifle in hand to get to the mountains behind them where I'm 800 meters away from the road and legal?
    I wouldn’t pay any attention to the signs you come across out on the road. They are there mostly for uneducated target shooters and people who make a mess. If you’re hunting, it’s your responsibly to follow the regulations and maps above all else. Get at least 800m off the main road and you’re good to go. I hunt up in Chilliwack quite ofetn, and have never had a problem walking into spots from the road. Hiking with a firearm does not break a no shooting law, just don’t discharge it.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Wild one....do you remember the bios name or how to get ahold of this person.....and I have been going into the wack valley for years and not once cut sign or heard howling from any wolves ....not saying there not there but I figured after all this time I would have seen a track on the road or in the snow ...in the back country...something...but instead nothing......cut one track once I thought for sure it was wolf...massive track ....I followed for about 20 yards in the mud...at which point track disappeared into tire marks ....thought maybe the truck ruined the track....until I came across truck and one of the largest dogs I have ever seen lmao