Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer migration

Deer migration

Alrighty forum friends who can spill the beans on where all the deer from Boston bar ( 3-14)migrate too. I've spent 3 days up there scouting for my leh draw and I have yet to see a deer. Seen more fresh moose,bear and wolf sign then deer. I checked all different elevations and found that mid elevation had the most sign but nothing from this week. So are the deer packing there things and headed to Lytton?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer migration

It's too warm for any big migrations yet. Wait for the temp to drop and you WILL see them moving. Deer are comfy right now with the steady weather and not moving much. Fri-Sat should be good with a 10 degree drop and possible snow...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Anyone know where you could learn more about migrations? Which deer migrate which don't. I know some mulies don't migrate at all. Depending on where they live.

I also heard they used to collar some deer at big migration destinations like gang ranch and track where they came from. Is that data available anywhere?

rayne...call me i know where you can find them.

A fair bit of snow falling in the Kamloops area today. Up higher where there already was snow they'll have quite a bit after this dump is over. Migration will be starting if it hasn't already. The rut also. And of course road access will start to get limited. Carry & use your chains! I will be tomorrow.

I sure would like to understand this concept as well. If anyone is willing to explain deer migration and or direct where to find this information it would be greatly appreciated!

We read and see on here large deer taken in deep snow every year, yet when the current snowfall is hitting the lower portion of the province all I hear about is deer migration. It does not seem to match?

Some deer migrate some don't. Some of the better known migrations are mule deer out of the 100 mile vicinity down to the Fraser river and from the Monashees down the Kettle valley to the Okanagan pretty near. Then there's mule deer on the prairie that obviously are stuck at one elevation and all the snow and blizzards that come with. They can obviously withstand lots of snow but some have evolved to avoid the worst of it where they can.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I remember doing some heli-work out of Williams lake in December - worked our way to the Fraser and came across hundreds of deer. It was like farm. I know where I hunt in kamloops there are populations that don't move much and others that stay high and then drop down to the valley slopes.

Mule deer will winter mostly in old and mature Douglas- Fir (large old trees) stands of trees,they keep the snow level to a minimum,provide good thermal cover and also provide food through litterfall.
    And provide security... find these pockets of forage and the deer will be there...
    For 3-14 that is anyways .... : )
    Last edited by Ferenc; 11-02-2017 at 10:18 PM.

does anyone know if there are actually any charts/maps done by the ministry or forestry, that one can obtain
    publicly to find out where deer are (in general) that move from summer ranges to winter ranges?
    I know some deer don't migrate at all, but I know others move quite far.
    Surely there have been studies done on mule deer, and their migrations routes here in BC, and I am wondering
    if anyone here knows if one can obtain that info, and where to go to get that info.
    Please feel free to pm me.
    For all the years I have hunted, I have never had a clear idea where the deer move in this province.
    I have some ideas, but nothing factual to look at.