Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer migration

Re: Deer migration

Hey guys. I'm out in 3-20 , Peter hope area . Haven't been seeing much , but maybe the big full moon has to do with it ?? I'm going to take your advice and hopefully find some mature Douglas fir to hunt in.. there is a lot of snow on the ground here tho , perhaps they migrate out of this region as well ?? Thanks and goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor604 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm out in 3-20 , Peter hope area . Haven't been seeing much , but maybe the big full moon has to do with it ?? I'm going to take your advice and hopefully find some mature Douglas fir to hunt in.. there is a lot of snow on the ground here tho , perhaps they migrate out of this region as well ?? Thanks and goodluck!
    Nope...they will be around.
    It's been many moons since I've hunted up there (gave up because of all the late night pit lamping, and reporting it
    didn't have an effect, as CO's don't touch that if it's a certain user group)
    Before all the heavy logging, when it was just the powerlines, the deer were there.
    There's lots of logging, or was, and it wasn't to hard to get lost up there after that, but if you hunt around the edges
    inside the cutblocks, or between cutblocks on the roads.
    Could also try just above stump lake as well, the deer used to come up from the fields to the timber, and vice versa,
    depending if its "early morning" or "late evening".
    As I said, haven't been up there in quite a few years, but that's where they should be right about now.
    good luck...

There are maps for deer winter ranges in BC - I think I had one on g-earth before I switched my computer. You could pretty easily correlate migration routes from those

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    There are maps for deer winter ranges in BC - I think I had one on g-earth before I switched my computer. You could pretty easily correlate migration routes from those
    care to post a link as to where one might find these migration routes

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    Not migration routes but designated winter ranges. As far as I know it's always been kind of small patches of forest marked off as UWR or ungulate winter range on maps to be protected from logging. However they always seemed too small on the maps to me. I figured the winter ranges would be bigger than what was shown.

Has anyone hiked through UWR zones on the maps and actually confirmed through shed hunting that they really are winter ranges as marked?

I spend way too much time fishing for steelhead during the winter and spring but this year I plan to head out and see if I can find me some sheds in these UWR areas.

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    I think what your asking is...
    where do I find the winter range plots/areas for mule deer thru out the province?
    (as stated by others, migration routes/trails do not seem to exist on paper or from any studies...or should I say,
    because those studies do not exist)

You're right tSO they set aside a certain percentage of land at certain elevations what should be good winter range for deer. Back on the island the bio showed me it used to be around 800m, get a fair bit of sun.. old growth or mature second. AFA whether these sites have been checked to see if deer indeed use them or even did before they were created, sorry not happening there's not enough boots on the ground to count anything to speak of these days. Some will be checked I'm sure with the very limited resources in their travels but most not.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I didnt think so either because I've seen some very dubious areas marked off as UWR. Areas I could bet money were certainly NOT a wintering range.

Almost as if they had to designate something so they just went "ok. This'll do"

Winter range maps for ungulates are not that hard to find. So does makes me wonder if some in the know are just staying silent
    If you drill down in the map overlays on Imapbc you will find approved ungulate wintering grounds and unapproved wintering grounds. One might surmise that the approved areas would have been checked for feed and shelter while the unapproved has not been checked yet. Lots of other Govt maps available with outlined or shaded in areas of wintering grounds . For all across BC. Some overlays will group all ungulates together in the shading with different id #'s for goats Caribou Moose etc. Or other maps are available for just a single species.
    I'll link to couple to play with: There are a pile more infolinks of interest to a hunter, that are available if you dig deep enough

Here is a Catchall map of BC. Scroll down for a dual mode interactive map

https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...range-approved

This is an example of a more refined datalink with numerous viewable maplinks. Sadly lots of the other info links end up needing a license to view

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/frpa/uwr/approved_uwr.html

Like these. Only 4 of the 18 files are accessable without license

https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...lish_date+desc

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Winter range maps for ungulates are not that hard to find. So does makes me wonder if some in the know are just staying silent
    If you drill down in the map overlays on Imapbc you will find approved ungulate wintering grounds and unapproved wintering grounds. One might surmise that the approved areas would have been checked for feed and shelter while the unapproved has not been checked yet. Lots of other Govt maps available with outlined or shaded in areas of wintering grounds . For all across BC. Some overlays will group all ungulates together in the shading with different id #'s for goats Caribou Moose etc. Or other maps are available for just a single species.
    I'll link to couple to play with: There are a pile more infolinks of interest to a hunter, that are available if you dig deep enough

Here is a Catchall map of BC. Scroll down for a dual mode interactive map

https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...range-approved

This is an example of a more refined datalink with numerous viewable maplinks. Sadly lots of the other info links end up needing a license to view

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/frpa/uwr/approved_uwr.html

Like these. Only 4 of the 18 files are accessable without license

https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...lish_date+desc
    thanks a lot...I take look at it....cheers