Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Shipped Meat From Fort St. John to Vancouver

Has Anyone Shipped Meat From Fort St. John to Vancouver

Good evening, I was fortunate enough to get my first moose this year(spike-fork bull) along with a whitetail up near FSJ this past weekend .As I only had a 4 day window I flew up & back. Has anyone shipped meat down to Vancouver from there before?I was told to try using bus with frozen meat in coolers? or is there shipping companies that do this. I am hoping someone here might have experience or knowledge on the subject.I am looking for most cost effective way but do not want to risk meat going bad on the trip down.Any info Appreciated

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Has Anyone Shipped Meat From Fort St. John to Vancouver

You could fly it back after the butcher has packed it but it is crazy expensive. CMA has cargo delivery. My advice is drive the 14 hours each way. You can do it in a weekend. I've done the trip more than a few times and other than the Pine Pass (in winter) it is an easy drive. Just long.

The hardest part is getting a ballpark... start here:
    https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/shar...C/B%3E%3CBR%3E

I'm sure there is cheaper out there too..

You might want to check greyhound bus temperature is going to be dropping in the next day or two I have shipped salmon up from Langley to Dawson Creek and arrived in two days completely frozen in middle of December. Other options is to see if anyone is returning from there that would be willing to bring it home for you

I used Greyhound from Sask for 2 big whitetail.
    Filled cooler, duct taped and shipped.it sits in bottom of bus or trailered behind.
    Rock hard frozen when it arrived
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Clark or Dakota transport, maybe manitoulin? Im not sure who's in Ft St John. Butcher shop should know.

Greyhound charges $1/lb I believe.

Air Canada cargo is expensive.

$300 is cheaper then gas and hotel never mind time driving 26 hours in snow and ice

I had a butchered elk shipped from FSJ to Vcr by Greyhound. About $350. Freeze the meat. Ship in coolers, taped. Max weight is 75lbs per cooler. Make sure it is shipped as Priority so it doesnt get bumped off enroute by another shipment that is Priority. Takes a couple days. Greyhound does not have tracking info that is useful. Pickup is at the Main St bus terminal.

I think I'll try Greyhound sounds like the best bet for me. Thanks for the great breakdown and all the details Antlerking,Blainer and Steve-r. Thanks to the rest of you for your input.Unfortunately no time to drive up there and really expensive to fly it back.I've gained a lot of knowledge on this forum and enjoy all the stories,pics and even some of the debate .When I have time I might try and post a few pics and tell my story.Been on much harder longer hunts but this was a pretty fun one...Real hunters paradise up that neck of the woods!
    Anyway thanks for help.
    Cheers.

in 2011 , my brother and his son in law got a moose near Smithers. After it was butchered and frozen (at Sausage Factory) I arranged to have the meat shipped down to Vancouver by Refrigerated truck. Cant remember exactly which outfit actually hauled it but I do recall going to the Canadian Freightways depot to ship it.
    There are reefer trucks on the road every day and I am sure they would go from FSJ to PG to Van. Give Freightways, VanKam, Bandstra or one to the other outfits that run reefer trucks and ask about having the meat shipped.
    It cost my brother about $350 to have a pallet with 7 big coolers full of frozen moose shipped in a reefer truck.
    Greyhound would be a last resort IMO. You would be better off to do a road trip with your own pickup truck.
    Semper in excretum altum