Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got me a last minute doe

Got me a last minute doe

Been working out at Invermere so I though I would lose the last few days of doe season.But I got an unexpected day off ,went out and saw a BIG doe with what I thought was a fawn. Going to pass on her(I watched Bambi) but the "fawn" was a 2 point buck. She was a third bigger than him. Bang flop. 245 paces. And FAT, my god she was full inside and 2+ inches outside after skinning.
    Ain`t as young and tough as I used to be, thought somebody would find us laying side by side dead half way up the hill during the drag. Sure love my old Brno 30.06,never lets me down.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Got me a last minute doe

Well done!!
    il be feasting on mine tonight with a cold beer.
    Enjoy that delicious table fare.

Right on sawmill thought I was long in the season taking one Sunday morning but yep you're pretty much last minute there Sounds like a big doe all right makes a guy wonder what jr. will grow in to ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Nice one! I'm sure that will beat the hell out of the camp food I'll be choking down tonight. Happy Tenderloining to you!

Congratulations. If I was over your way I would have skinned it for you, just for the sheer enjoyment of the way those fat whitetail skin.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Quote Originally Posted by gamehunter6o View Post
    Congratulations. If I was over your way I would have skinned it for you, just for the sheer enjoyment of the way those fat whitetail skin.
    Yeah ,get the legs done and just peel the hide. Bought me a real nice food saver machine from Can Tire for 100$ off on sale. Looking forward to use it today.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Yeah ,get the legs done and just peel the hide. Bought me a real nice food saver machine from Can Tire for 100$ off on sale. Looking forward to use it today.
    Little tip with the food saver.....make like a snowball with the burger then put it in the bag and seal it, then you can flatten it and you end up with a book sized flat pound of burger that stacks very nicely in the freezer. I just started doing that this year and it saves a ridiculous amount of space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCL9tB47Zso

Also, don't need to thaw it that way, so thin you just throw in the pan frozen and it cooks just as fast as thawed.

Thank you for the tip.

Way to go Sawmill. I got one late afternoon yesterday as well. Big dry doe and covered with fat like yours. Should be delicious!!