Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Info On New Zealand Hunt

Re: Looking For Info On New Zealand Hunt

I hear a lot of hunting is within fenced land... doesn't sound like fair chase to me...

I hear that those New Zealand hunts are canned fenced hunts.....not fair chase....fill your boots

gamehunter60 seems like a reasonable guy.

I'm not sure if I've got it right or not, but I seem to recall there is no closed season. Very liberal hunting regs.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Yep you bet. No outfitter, no tags as such, you are required to get a hunting license but it’s free. Rent a cheap car, bring all your own gear and drive out to the mountains and hunt. Not much need for it too be more expensive than flights. Fly in get to a chunk of public land with the game you want to pursue and start walking. There is no requirement to hunt in NZ other than showing your firearm license to the police in the airport and then getting a visitor firearm license for $25.00NZ. Bring exact change!

Happy to help anyone in any way like I’ve said I’ve done this and the first year I kept every single receipt. I know exactly what I spent. I also didn’t treat it as a holiday, I just treated it like any hunt, get to location and hunt.

CM
    Would love to be someone’s packhorse on a goat hunt.

There is both fenced and non-fenced hunting in New Zealand although 99.9% of the really big stags you see are from fenced properties and the bulk of the good free range stags come off of private property. There is some great tahr and chamois hunting on public land though. Some of the fenced operations in New Zealand don't offer up much challenge but some would equal the difficulty of a free range hunt. As for Poland, high fenced hunting is illegal there so all hunting is free range but areas are controlled by local hunting clubs and to hunt you must utilize their services. I'd highly recommend Adrian Skok if you are looking at hunting Eastern Europe. He really has it dialed in and the prices will be a very pleasant surprise. He works for Global Sporting Safaris. https://www.gssafaris.com/meet-our-staff/

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    There is both fenced and non-fenced hunting in New Zealand although 99.9% of the really big stags you see are from fenced properties and the bulk of the good free range stags come off of private property. There is some great tahr and chamois hunting on public land though. Some of the fenced operations in New Zealand don't offer up much challenge but some would equal the difficulty of a free range hunt. As for Poland, high fenced hunting is illegal there so all hunting is free range but areas are controlled by local hunting clubs and to hunt you must utilize their services. I'd highly recommend Adrian Skok if you are looking at hunting Eastern Europe. He really has it dialed in and the prices will be a very pleasant surprise. He works for Global Sporting Safaris. https://www.gssafaris.com/meet-our-staff/
    Great!! I have been talking to Adrian. Looks like Romania or Ukraine though for a wilder/more remote hunt.

Id also love to try NZ for a DIY

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Great!! I have been talking to Adrian. Looks like Romania or Ukraine though for a wilder/more remote hunt.

Id also love to try NZ for a DIY
    In Europe you can also try Slovakia (I hunted mouflon there...). Most are free range hunts. Boar, fallow deer, and other species are available too.
    Very reasonable prices!
    As for NZ, hunting fenced areas can still be challenging (tahr and chamois)) as the terrain can be quite difficult. Besides don't we hunt "fenced areas" for deer and elk right here in B.C. It's not the end of the world...
    Of course, if you are young, healthy and fit, DIY is the way to go.

BCHunterFSJ- who did you hunt with in Slovakia if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Slovakia originally and live in FSJ now since 2010. I must agree with you, there is very good hunting opportunities in Slovakia and very reasonable prices as well. The main difference from here is that you only pay harvest fee after you take your animal and daily guiding fees and accommodation are minimal 50-80 euros a day. Very good stag, both free range and fenced, good quality mouflon and fallow deer as well. I hunted with couple of my friends here : www.dudin.sk

I have a question for those that have done these far away Hunts like New Zealand. We see what the costs of various hunts are but what kind of cost breakdown for Hide and antler prep plus the shipping home. How long does it take for shipping to reach home ? Are there Brokerage fees ? Is it cheaper to get taxidermy there then have it crated and shipped Home ? It was quite a surprise for me of the extra costs to get my Texas animals Home. This is just stuff i would like to know more than it being a Big Surprise later.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I have a question for those that have done these far away Hunts like New Zealand. We see what the costs of various hunts are but what kind of cost breakdown for Hide and antler prep plus the shipping home. How long does it take for shipping to reach home ? Are there Brokerage fees ? Is it cheaper to get taxidermy there then have it crated and shipped Home ? It was quite a surprise for me of the extra costs to get my Texas animals Home. This is just stuff i would like to know more than it being a Big Surprise later.

I personally brought my tahr home in my case. I only brought back the skull and horns though. I planned to have a couple of days at the end just
    for trophy prep. I cleaned the head from start to finish. I also organized an export permit from NZ. I got through customs in Vancouver with little hassle. The thing to be aware of bringing anything back from anywhere is that it doesn’t matter if it’s all good and legal where you take the animal. It must be all good with CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species).
    I’m not 100% sure but I believe that you could also bring the cape home in check baggage too. You would have to ensure that all blood, flesh, fat, faeces, dirt, seeds, ect at 100% gone. So that means you have to turn the lips, ears, eyes, nose, flesh the whole cape, wash the hide, and pick all vegetation out of the fur. Then salt the hide. The rules may have changed since I brought my tahr back in 2016.
    Would love to be someone’s packhorse on a goat hunt.