Thread: Tarsal glands. When do they stink?

Tarsal glands. When do they stink?

I haven't shot a wide enough spectrum of deer to know, but do deer tarsal glands always smell, or just around the rut? They smell in mid-october, they really smell in late october, I can smell them before I see them in November, and I can't really remember the smell of my December buck enough to say if it still had it. Is that smell always present? Or does is signify pre-rut, and coincide with pre-rut rubbing? I ask, because I was surprised to smell it on a mid-October buck.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tarsal glands. When do they stink?

They always stink, they piss on them year round.

Save em.
    Hang them from a tree branch in a good spot.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Got my buck on Halloween last year and he wreaked, got my buck on the 14th this year and he had no stink to him, my first buck ever was the end of October and he was a stinker too.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Save em.
    Hang them from a tree branch in a good spot.
    Save them and put them under someone's car seat lol

Definetly save them!
    Gutted a buck that my hunting partner shot, and got that scent all over my clothes especially my gloves and pants...
    well, the next morning, standing there a short distance into my hike and glassing the mountain across the lake, I suddenly had a buck come running right at me.....
    It was obvious that he didn't notice me, as I was standing still, and only when I turned because I heard crunching snow coming towards me, that he hit the brakes not even 15ft from me in full sight.
    It was the smell of the tarsal glands from the buck the day before, and he was going to chase me off.
    Hang em in a tree, or where as a "lucky rabbits foot", either way, keep them and use them to your advantage,

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Definetly save them!
    Gutted a buck that my hunting partner shot, and got that scent all over my clothes especially my gloves and pants...
    well, the next morning, standing there a short distance into my hike and glassing the mountain across the lake, I suddenly had a buck come running right at me.....
    It was obvious that he didn't notice me, as I was standing still, and only when I turned because I heard crunching snow coming towards me, that he hit the brakes not even 15ft from me in full sight.
    It was the smell of the tarsal glands from the buck the day before, and he was going to chase me off.
    Hang em in a tree, or where as a "lucky rabbits foot", either way, keep them and use them to your advantage,
    Yup! Deer in the area will be curious. It works.

Tie them into your boot laces but don,t bring them in the house