Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Protection Undone - Illegally Reopened Road

Caribou Protection Undone - Illegally Reopened Road

What do you guys think, someone working up there? or someone pissed about access to recreation?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.4378750

A caribou restoration project in northeastern B.C. has suffered a major setback after somebody illegally restored a road that was deactivated to help protect calves from wolves and other predators over the winter.

Woodland caribou herds are facing extinction in B.C., including the Klinse-Za herd in the South Peace region of the province. This year, a road leading into the herd's winter territory was deactivated in order to make it more difficult for wolves to hunt the caribou, but that work has now been undone.
    In 2013, there were just 16 animals in the herd, down from nearly 200 in the 1990s. Those numbers are being restored thanks to efforts being led by the Saulteau and West Moberly First Nations.

Willson said roughly $60,000 was spent pulling out culverts and piling up trees, dirt and rocks in order to make the road impassable. He was surprised anyone would spend the time and money to reverse that.

"It probably took them the better part of a day or two. They had to pay for the equipment, pay for the fuel," he said.

"Somebody with some disposable money did this."

According to a spokesperson for the forests ministry, the incident is being investigated as a potential violation of the Forest Range and Practices Act, which comes with a maximum penalty of $500,000 and two years imprisonment.

Wolves on the hunt

"Wolves, which are a major predator, can travel up to four times faster on roads, and that makes their hunting way more efficient than under natural conditions," explained Scott McNay, the wildlife biologist in charge of the restoration program.

He said by closing the road, natural conditions were being restored, making it easier for caribou to survive.
    "Predators are always going to be hunting caribou, we just want that to occur as it would naturally, rather than being assisted by humans," he said.
    McNay also said the reactivation is particularly troubling as the road leads towards a maternity penning program, in which pregnant female caribou are captured and allowed to raise their calves in a protected environment over the summer before being released.

"One of the first things we noticed after the incident were two sets of wolf tracks that are using the new roads to access calving range," he said.
    "That's where all the caribou were hanging out."
    Willson said plans are underway to once again deactivate the road, but it represents a significant financial blow to the restoration program.
    "It's a waste," he said.
    "There's an animal on the edge of extinction that's there because of human activity ... and we're on kind of the crux of we're either going to have caribou or we're not."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Caribou Protection Undone - Illegally Reopened Road

If it's the place near wilow flats I know of, i bet it's either to do with the pipeline work that's going on, or the logging contractor working up there.

Typical CBC story telling. They would rather write up one guys banter instead of researching the truth, the rest of the story
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I didn't think wolves needed roads to travel on

Helps them move faster though
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

When I read that story, I was shaking my head.

Wolves should have no problem getting around a little bit of road deactivation. So, once on the other side, they can just keep cruising along. So either there were details missing or they just weren't making sense. Unless long stretches from that road were torn up and restored...

Quote Originally Posted by cptnoblivious View Post
    When I read that story, I was shaking my head.

Wolves should have no problem getting around a little bit of road deactivation. So, once on the other side, they can just keep cruising along. So either there were details missing or they just weren't making sense. Unless long stretches from that road were torn up and restored...
    It's media, do you expect clarity and common sense over inflammatory rhetoric and misinformation? What world do you think you live in, wonderland?
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Agree on trusting CBC to contain all the facts -

On the deactivation, I question it too --- One of wolves I shot was out of a pack that was moving smoothly along a skidder trail that I have trouble walking on to retrieve the kill

Quote Originally Posted by 123.brewski View Post
    I didn't think wolves needed roads to travel on
    They don't. Neither do we. it's a lot faster with a road though, don't you think? Wolves are not stupid and will cover a hell of a lot more ground much quicker with roads all over the place. This gets them to a different food supply that much quicker and hence, the wolf populations do a lot better. Everyone says shoot the wolves but no one wants to bite the bullet to make it tougher on wolves by getting rid of unneccesary roads. With all of the access in northern Alberta due to all of the logging roads, logging clear cuts, cut lines, seismograph lines, pipe lines and fossil fuel access roads, the wolves are having a field day. My friends will trap and kill 25 - 30 wolves per year in the same area and the next year there will be easily as many wolves there again.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Agree on trusting CBC to contain all the facts -

On the deactivation, I question it too --- One of wolves I shot was out of a pack that was moving smoothly along a skidder trail that I have trouble walking on to retrieve the kill
    Jeeze man, you gotta give it time to grow in
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"