Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caribou Protection Undone - Illegally Reopened Road

Re: Caribou Protection Undone - Illegally Reopened Road

no biologist said road deactivation "stops" wolf movement, it's mitigating the beneficial impact that human development gives wolves, they do move faster on linear features and increase their search rate, which equals more prey killed....it wasn't a photo in a magazine, it was gps collars

it seems most folks on here agree wolves need to be managed, but the only HBC approved solution is hunting...so how successful is the average hunter at shooting wolves? how many active trappers out there? new trapper recruitment? newbies get ripped apart for even asking questions about wolves, "leave that to the experienced guys, you dumbasses are only educating wolves" lol

what's so offensive about biologists utilizing non hunting measures to help mitigate the impact from wolves? it's not the end all answer, but it's a piece of a complex solution
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    no biologist said road deactivation "stops" wolf movement, it's mitigating the beneficial impact that human development gives wolves, they do move faster on linear features and increase their search rate, which equals more prey killed....it wasn't a photo in a magazine, it was gps collars

it seems most folks on here agree wolves need to be managed, but the only HBC approved solution is hunting...so how successful is the average hunter at shooting wolves? how many active trappers out there? new trapper recruitment? newbies get ripped apart for even asking questions about wolves, "leave that to the experienced guys, you dumbasses are only educating wolves" lol

what's so offensive about biologists utilizing non hunting measures to help mitigate the impact from wolves? it's not the end all answer, but it's a piece of a complex solution
    Non hunting measures? Like poison?? Or live trap and spay? OR??

OR??.....road deactivations, as was mentioned in the article.....

specifically targeting road deactivations that lead to critical winter range and calving pens

I have no issue with trapping to kill or poison programs
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    OR??.....road deactivations, as was mentioned in the article.....

specifically targeting road deactivations that lead to critical winter range and calving pens

I have no issue with trapping to kill or poison programs
    Sorry but my recent interactions with bios involving fish and wildlife have left me wondering what planet they have been studying.
    Having said that there may be some merit to road deactivation in some m u's but in the rugged terrain I seriously doubt that .

my conversations with bio's in region 7a & b have been pleasant, even when they denied releasing aerial survey data to me lol, but agree some decisions in the province are questionable

I do think the road in question falls in the "some merit" category though

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    When they deactivate the roads , they now pile brush and tear them up so bad a deer can't even walk on it , at least here in the WK that's what they started doing.
    I was starting to wonder what they meant as well...
    But how much of these roads do they tear up....all of it?
    If so, ok, I can see that working, but 100 yards or so, I can't see that making a difference.

The type of work being done to reduce predator movement is not like normal deactivation. It is pretty thorough and involves long stretches of road. It is more “restoration” than deactivation. Imagine tearing up the road, planting trees then tossing a bunch of debris all over plus maybe the odd windrow that is hard to get over. In some places they have tried fences etc etc. There is a pile of research in places like Alberta on how to do it including using collars and game cameras before and after. The science is showing that if it’s done right wolves use these rehabilitated features less and that therefore they kill fewer caribou. But it’s new in bc.