Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black bear

Re: Black bear

Quote Originally Posted by coplin View Post
    but then you would have meat that don't really want i dunno??
    Lots of people feed bear meat to Dogs easy to give away ! People raising sled dogs etc - cougar bear hunters dogs ! RJ

Give it to someone who would eat it problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Give it to someone who would eat it problem solved
    thx, if it's gutted and hanging in a cold cellar how many days do I have to find someone who would want it?

I pressure canned some bear meat this year for the first time..best way to eat bear in my opinion..1/2 pint jars you can take to work with a little mustard.. tastes lilke roast beef and super easy..all i am saying is give bear a chance lol..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

thx thats kinda what i thought but i'd not be happy letting it go to waste..
    Nothing goes to waste in mother nature. imho Lots of critters would have happily taken some good meals off the bear that should have been shot. It sounds like it was displaying predatory behavior and you are lucky you saw it before it pounced.

I shot a B bear that came into our camp at night, no tag, drove to Fort St. John reported it to CO.
    Was told leave it alone don't take any claws, teeth or anything else, but if I wanted it to buy a tag.
    I didn't want it, I returned the next year and recovered the skull.

thx, if it's gutted and hanging in a cold cellar how many days do I have to find someone who would want it?
    Mall depends on the temperature a few days is easy with hide off clean and hanging

Some bears are dicks. I've had this sort of thinghappen a few times, where a bear might spook initially, then keep advancing. Sometimes they get bolder and bolder. I had one of these where we hosed it down with spray, multiple times, and it kept advancing. Only getting back to the truck ended it. That's why i say spray is a tool in the tool box, it's not the only tool to have though.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Bear meat is hands down the best game meat available.
    I shoot one every year and cut it up for stew, roasts and ground.

It sounds to me like you passed up a chance for an easy meal.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Yup, exactly why I started buying Bear tags.
    Had the chance this year, but, he wasn't the "big one" I was looking for.
    But, as was your experience, I also have the tag for a bear the exhibits no fear and wants to "push his luck".
    At least I feel it was all legal, an don't need to explain to anyone that I shot because I felt threatened.
    And yes, if you feel you are at risk, don't wait....
    But, I have had bears at close range (neither of us knew the other was there, and almost bump into each other),
    and those bears may take sometime to respond to making a decision.
    I am glad I never pulled the trigger right away, as all of them up to now, do eventually run away.
    But a bear that keeps on walking towards you or following you....then I would shoot, if not for my own safety,
    but possibly for someone else's who isn't armed potentially.....having a tag just makes it easy to decide quicker!