Warning hunters, hikers take caution:

Sunday October 9th around 16:30
Steelhead area in Mission BC- I don't want say where but if you PM me (and not on my case after reading) then I would share

I was in about 9 km in on foot very close to the backside of Stave Lake paralelling the high tension power lines.

I found deer tracks in soft earth and then about 250m up road from that fresh bear scat on the de-activated road. This was a very, very windy day, with wind in my face downwind( I think it could not smell or hear me I'll give it that at least). I stopped to check out a possible bedding area and food source for the deer. As I turned my head back to road, a black bear was about 4 arms length away I shouted "hey bear" and it did do the antcipated action that one would expect , and turned and bolted into the nearby treeline. I began to back up wanting to leave the area and give it its space. However I could see it return to the brush (I think blackberry and alder type scrub brush) alongside the road and shadow me as I backed up all the while facing it also I heard some hissing maybe growls, i thought at the time dry branches snapping but maybe jaw snapping? again was VERY windy , no longer retreating into the forest as I expected . I felt stalked actually. I didn't see any cubs at all So I think male (my guess was 250-300 pounds) . This bear just didn't seem "right" I fired two warning shots , and it barely retreated. I had to hoof it back out all the time looking over my shoulder. When I get home I see this article in the newspaper bear-attacks-woman-conservation-officer-in-mission-b-c-1.4366779 co-incidence??
What a weird day I had.Black bears have always run away and stayed away when i''ve past encountered them. At least I know now why there no deer in the area