Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves...Region 8

Re: Wolves...Region 8

Yeh whatever...just don't want anyone hunting there eh?... I feel your pain.
    damn sure this is cyclical.Local history references suggest the last big fires years were in mid 20s to mid 30s...lots of reference to wolves in this time period as well. Read Patterson's bio..it will turn.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Yeh whatever...just don't want anyone hunting there eh?... I feel your pain.
    damn sure this is cyclical.Local history references suggest the last big fires years were in mid 20s to mid 30s...lots of reference to wolves in this time period as well. Read Patterson's bio..it will turn.
    Landscape has changed dramatically since that era.
    Only a fraction of winter range now.
    Habitat fragmentation from forest practices, add 10's of thousands of km's of FSRs that are wolf hiways.
    The game is very different now.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

What is also different, is the "save the wolves" mentality of people today as compared to a time long ago, not to many "hippies" back then.
    Wolves were already killing everything in sight in region 8 before a season was implemented, too little to late imo, and there should be a bounty offered as an added incentive.

I hunt to the north of you in reg 8. Took a couple pot shots at a pack of wolves on the river. Musta hit one as we could hear it howling for hours after.

Pack was at least 8 or better. Never seen or heard wolves in the area untill this year, been hunting area for 10 years.

Saw an average of 2 does per day... never seen so few deer. Partly attributed low deer sighting to the dry fall.

Game cams are showing cats, in groups up to 4, griz in groups up to 3, multiple yotes, and wolves frequently picked up. See more preds than deer... scary.
    Last edited by bang flop; 10-30-2017 at 09:39 PM.

This morning in region 3 I called in a pack of 5 or 6, knocked one down, and out the hurt on another. More wolf track than deer track.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Gee, LBM told me I was pretty well alone with the high wolf population. For that matter GoatGuy told me the same thing 5or 6 years ago.

You guys should be careful, with your anecdotal evidence, the experts don't like hearing it....

lol

I fortunately have seen quite a few deer in reg 3/8 lately, and not alot of pred sign...but I know the wolf pops around here is increasing..will be trying pred calls this winter...has anyone had any luck at last light getting them, or usually just first light??

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I fortunately have seen quite a few deer in reg 3/8 lately, and not alot of pred sign...but I know the wolf pops around here is increasing..will be trying pred calls this winter...has anyone had any luck at last light getting them, or usually just first light??
    If I had to guess I would say you spend most of your time hunting on the westside of OK Lake? Based on anecdotes, I would submit there are more wolves on the east side of OKanagan than west.

On my way to the coast last Monday morning saw a big dead one grey and black just east of Sunset exit on the connector. There is a lot around!

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    This morning in region 3 I called in a pack of 5 or 6, knocked one down, and out the hurt on another. More wolf track than deer track.....
    Where abouts?
    I'm very interested in shooting wolves in region 3.