Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves...Region 8

Re: Wolves...Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I have no doubt that roads increase the predation efficiency by wolves ...but they are still efficient predators away from human influence.
    Look no further than the thread on wolves in the Tuchodi. No roads...no logging....no oil and gas development.

SSS
    Yes and each region or MU is different and has to be treated that way. The problem is different in each and has to be fixed/solved differently in each.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Apperantly they are as you posted in thread #22
    Ha ha and touche.
    Yes, the reality is there will only be more.

I will pose a question (and it is coming from a constructive perspective).
    What needs to be done?
    How is it achieved?
    Who pays for it?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You (and us all) will actually have to convince the government to get onside to make any significant difference.
    Current studies well show that indiscriminate shooting and removals of one or two critical pack members will result in a near immediate upsurge of wolf populations.
    "Sportsmen" who do this shooting may "feel better" by taking the odd one out, but in the vast majority of situations, they are actually contributing to the problem they think they are dealing with. Removal rates by this sector are FAR too sporadic, and FAR too low to make any difference whatsoever in the overall picture.

What is required is a dedicated team of very experienced killers using air support, combined with experienced trappers completely focused on the removal of entire packs. Only then will we see the numbers start to fall. The only real alternative is to await the eventual crash of prey species, and the resulting fall of their predators as a consequence.

I wish this were not true, but sadly it is.
    And I wish that I thought we could convince government to pay attention, but again sadly I do not...

Grim state of affairs...
    Nog
    Each region is different but in parts of the EK this sure seems as to what happened. A few packs stayed pretty consistant numbers for years and travel routes. Then some people
    got in panick mode some fueled by a few ranchers, even though they had never lost any livestock. So a few trappers caught a couple then the next year more wolves, then split
    up, so now 2 packs then a couple caught out of the new one and so on. The right people at the start could have probably eliminated most of if not the whole pack.
    If people want to trap or shoot wolves because you want one fine, but to do so because you think your saving ungulates you may be causing the death of more in some cases.

And now you throw in some more road closures in the EK starting soon, and now the wolves will have more
    safe havens/sanctuaries to run back into all the time, at least during the hunting season..
    And I agree, the wrong trappers will just make it worse, just like when we go out and by luck tag 1 or 2,
    we might be making it worse.
    Whose going to pay for....not a clue...should be from our hunting tags/license money I suppose.
    Who should be doing it....the ministry....but no balls..
    How...well I am fine with heli, but that's about the most expensive way to handle it (at least up front),
    and some don't like my thoughts on 1080...so, what, pay trappers....but how do you know that they can actually be capable of trapping the way it needs to be done???
    May not agree with my thoughts, but, I answered the questions.

I have hundreds of hours in the bush over the last 7 years in Reg 3. One wolf spotted and I missed it. To say we need to kill more as hunters is not easy if you can never get the cross hairs on them.

Wolves I have shot have been alone whether they are part of a larger group, who knows. I dont know any ranchers in region 8 who haven't lost cattle to wolves, one guy lost about a dozen in 1 year 2-3 years ago.

I have said this about 10 times now....where are the forest companies in all this?? they contribute nothing to any of the hunting communities issues, even though they reap the benefits, they build the roads, destroy habitat like crazy, cream the bush under the guise of the pine beetle. The pine beetle exists no doubt, but then cream the high elevation spruce?? its all bs.

I lost complete confidence in any form of government intervention regarding wildlife initiatives in this province, and anyone who is expecting help from this current government is dreaming. Help if any, is going to come from the bottom up, not top down.
    This wolf problem isn't going anywhere soon and will continue until everything is dead, dont think so? take a look at who is spreading the "I love wolves" agenda, they spread half truths (which is another word for perfect lie) and tug at the heartstrings of people who through no fault of their own just dont know and should be shown video of how many and how wolves kill stuff.
    These same people frequent this site and probably get some of their idea's here as they are aware its important to know your enemy.

This government as with the previous government wont spend anytime worrying about game population nor hunters needs and trying to gain the ear of the bc government is futile and quite frankly am getting abit weary of hearing "we need governments help" on every issue we as hunters face.
    Sorry to sound down on this issue and other issues hunters in this province face today but I keep on hunting with confidence that it will turn around for the youth in the future but I'm not getting any younger so its unlikely I will see it in my lifetime.

That, ^^^^^^^, folks, about says all that needs to be said. I agree and am utterly disgusted with the situation, however, this is the way it has been since I can remember and that is some 65+ years.

I favour a mass poisoning programme using 1080 and f**k the little pizzants of the "Raincoast" phonies and the "Valhalla Wilderness" jerks and draftdodging parasites and all the rest, but, I am not optimistic such will ever happen in BC.

So, I will shoot wolves and coyotes every chance I get and until I am so old that I cannot see to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    That, ^^^^^^^, folks, about says all that needs to be said. I agree and am utterly disgusted with the situation, however, this is the way it has been since I can remember and that is some 65+ years.

I favour a mass poisoning programme using 1080 and f**k the little pizzants of the "Raincoast" phonies and the "Valhalla Wilderness" jerks and draftdodging parasites and all the rest, but, I am not optimistic such will ever happen in BC.

So, I will shoot wolves and coyotes every chance I get and until I am so old that I cannot see to shoot!
    I knew it was those damn draft dodgers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    ......I will pose a question (and it is coming from a constructive perspective).
    What needs to be done?
    How is it achieved?
    Who pays for it?
    -Need to convince the majority of the vocal populace that ungulates rate higher on the desirable scale than predators, that predators are the devils workers
    -Achieved with a giant propaganda campaign, possible started in the grade schools like the antis- have done, and perpetuated through all sectors of society including Hollywood bobbleheads
    -Build it and they will come. Once everyone is convinced ungulates are needy, underprivileged, malnutritioned being forced out of their homes, the funds will pour in from donations legacies and foundations that arise.

no one said it would be easy )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Sadly, I think, in today's political climate, when it becomes clear that predators such as wolves, bears and cats are running low on "food" (deer, moose, elk, etc...), the "go to" will be to reduce human hunter opportunities rather than reduce predator populations.
    That will be the "thinking" of both the law-makers and the ones that elect them.

Not good....