Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves...Region 8

Re: Wolves...Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Gee, LBM told me I was pretty well alone with the high wolf population. For that matter GoatGuy told me the same thing 5or 6 years ago.

You guys should be careful, with your anecdotal evidence, the experts don't like hearing it....

lol
    Interesting were was this said. Seems like the you and some you associate with like to make stuff up.

Region 8 has the highest FSR density in the province and only getting worse.
    Oddly, I see my majority of wolf tracks on roads.
    As the roads increase and the timber decreases....... think you get the picture
    Now read this.

"Wolves, which are a major predator, can travel up to four times faster on roads, and that makes their hunting way more efficient than under natural conditions," explained Scott McNay, the wildlife biologist in charge of the restoration program.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Thumbs down Re: Wolves...Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    ... the same to continue if sportsman don't start dealing with the predators year round.....
    You (and us all) will actually have to convince the government to get onside to make any significant difference.
    Current studies well show that indiscriminate shooting and removals of one or two critical pack members will result in a near immediate upsurge of wolf populations.
    "Sportsmen" who do this shooting may "feel better" by taking the odd one out, but in the vast majority of situations, they are actually contributing to the problem they think they are dealing with. Removal rates by this sector are FAR too sporadic, and FAR too low to make any difference whatsoever in the overall picture.

What is required is a dedicated team of very experienced killers using air support, combined with experienced trappers completely focused on the removal of entire packs. Only then will we see the numbers start to fall. The only real alternative is to await the eventual crash of prey species, and the resulting fall of their predators as a consequence.

I wish this were not true, but sadly it is.
    And I wish that I thought we could convince government to pay attention, but again sadly I do not...

Grim state of affairs...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I've only been hunting since 2013 so it may not count for much, but this year by far is the most wolf infested year I've ever seen.
    Every single time I've gone hunting I've found wolf tracks, or shit, or heard them howling, or even seen them. Haven't had a chance to take any down though.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You (and us all) will actually have to convince the government..

Grim state of affairs...
    Nog
    Agreed, i know the science behind wolf removal... All predators includes cats of all shapes and bears or all kinds

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Region 8 has the highest FSR density in the province and only getting worse.
    Oddly, I see my majority of wolf tracks on roads.
    As the roads increase and the timber decreases....... think you get the picture
    Now read this.

"Wolves, which are a major predator, can travel up to four times faster on roads, and that makes their hunting way more efficient than under natural conditions," explained Scott McNay, the wildlife biologist in charge of the restoration program.

what do you think the hunting was like in 1935? With the Wolves..and the Great Depression. Was it worse then now or better?..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You (and us all) will actually have to convince the government to get onside to make any significant difference.
    Current studies well show that indiscriminate shooting and removals of one or two critical pack members will result in a near immediate upsurge of wolf populations.
    "Sportsmen" who do this shooting may "feel better" by taking the odd one out, but in the vast majority of situations, they are actually contributing to the problem they think they are dealing with. Removal rates by this sector are FAR too sporadic, and FAR too low to make any difference whatsoever in the overall picture.

What is required is a dedicated team of very experienced killers using air support, combined with experienced trappers completely focused on the removal of entire packs. Only then will we see the numbers start to fall. The only real alternative is to await the eventual crash of prey species, and the resulting fall of their predators as a consequence.

I wish this were not true, but sadly it is.
    And I wish that I thought we could convince government to pay attention, but again sadly I do not...

Grim state of affairs...
    Nog
    I believe this is true, but only if you take out the Alpha male or female?

If its one of the subordinates the pack will not split up...

Perhaps a rather pathetic dent in the grand scheme of things, at least it might help to keep the fear of humans in their behavior?...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    I believe this is true, but only if you take out the Alpha male or female?

If its one of the subordinates the pack will not split up...

Perhaps a rather pathetic dent in the grand scheme of things, at least it might help to keep the fear of humans in their behavior?...
    There is "science" saying the the pack will always split and become more productive, and there is science saying that this scenario may or may not happen. Other research shows cases where removal of the Alpha pair results in the whole pack dissolving from infighting/chaos.

Be very suspicious of research that states a species will act only in a certain way. There will often be a bias involved.

yeah wolves make good time on roads http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...hway-1.4024425

Thumbs up Re: Wolves...Region 8

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Be very suspicious of research that states a species will act only in a certain way. There will often be a bias involved.
    LOL! You probably already know some of the who's I do involved with wolf studies.
    And while I do see a little bias from time to time, it's not at all what many might think.
    Some of the absolute best intel comes from those who are Hell, I lived there mentality.
    And you also likely know I gun them every single chance I get...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me