Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulie or BT? Need advice

Mulie or BT? Need advice

I've still yet to down a MD or BT. I grew up flying back to Ontario for Whitetail season and bagging one every year from 11 to 18. Then with my Dad passing and other interests I didn't pick up a rifle again until I turned 30 last year. Didnt expect a lot being my first year back and my first year western hunting. Bagged a black bear up off Hwy 24. Was more than happy. Spent this summer scouting a sea to sky area: Saw a doe and 2 fawns. My region 3 spot a
    big ol' MD doe. That's it. Been all weekend trips so far. My question is: I've got the 10th to the 20th of Nov off work... where would you focus your efforts? Blacktail spot or MD spot? MD spot definitely had more sign but also way more hunting pressure. Sorry for the long preamble but didn't want to come across as one of those 'huntin spots pleez!!!" Kind of guyz. Advice, opinions and GPS coordinates welcome. Haha

Thanks,
    Throwaway

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mulie or BT? Need advice

Follow up info: comfortable backpacking in and sleeping chilly, don't like shooting further than 200 yds.

BT's are more difficult to target but if you have to spend 5-8 hours round trip driving for mules then why not stay local and go for BTs. The rut is right around the corner.

I’d go look for a mule deer with that time.tent, sleep in the pickup or get a hotel!

If you want better odds of killing something go for MD. If you're looking for a new addiction go look for a mature blacktail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    If you want better odds of killing something go for MD. If you're looking for a new addiction go look for a mature blacktail.
    Ha ha that's not an addiction, it's a curse

I can feel the blacktail pull already... I love the habitat, I like the rain but I'd like some meat in the freezer as well. I'm leaning towards 2-11 blacktail...

Have a look at the regulations if you plan on hunting mule deer in November...

The 4 point or better deal is definitely a factor. What's more rare though: seeing a 4 pt mulie or any blacktail?

Thumbs up Re: Mulie or BT? Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ha ha that's not an addiction, it's a curse
    Ain't THAT the truth!!

I have always found Mulies one hell of a lot easier to figure out than Blacktails.
    That said, there are sometimes exceptions, and the rut is getting off the ground...

Difficult choice. Best of Luck whatever you decide...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me